SOLVED Windows Update Did Not Go Well

Reaction score
This afternoon I upgraded my system to Version 14271_rs1_Release 160218-2310. It appeared to update ok but about 20 minutes later the screen went from two monitors to one and then unable to change resolution. No cursor most of the time on the display that worked or at best very jerky. Virtually useless.

After several hours of playing with the non-existent cursor, I was able finally able to roll back to my previous Release and now everything back to normal. Is there a problem with this release or did something go haywire behind the scenes? I'm almost afraid to try the update again.

Michael

Reaction score
14271 is an Insider release. You should not be surprised when something stops working..

Is this a different machine from the one in your previous post last evening? Using Insider releases on a 'production' machine is very brave especially as the Insider ones are on a new path.

A PC you rely on should be on Version 1511 build 10586.104

Reaction score
[QUOTE="Rev. Michael L. Burns, post: 34436, member: 181" This afternoon I upgraded my system to Version 14271.rs1_Release 160218-2310. It appeared to update ok but about 20 minutes later the screen went from two monitors to one and then unable to change resolution. No cursor most of the time on the display that worked or at best very jerky. Virtually useless.

After several hours of playing with the non-existent cursor, I was able finally able to roll back to my previous Release and now everything back to normal. Is there a problem with this release or did something go haywire behind the scenes? I'm almost afraid to try the update again.

Michael[/QUOTE]
I went ahead and tried to check and install the latest updates and it now shows none although the lower right of the screen now shows 14267.rst1 Release 160213-9212. Why no updates tonight when there were showing morning. I am also getting an error on an attempt to update (Hewlett-Packard - Imaging - Null Print - HP Photosmart 5520 series - Error 0x8024200b00). This wasn't happening before. What's going on?

Update --- uninstalling my printer and reinstalling my printer seems to have corrected the Hewlett-Packard - Imaging - Null Print - HP Photosmart 5520 series - Error 0x8024200b00.

I am back to Version 14267.rst1 Release 160213-9212 all seems to be working so far today. Both Displays are working as well.

I am assuming something went wrong earlier during the attempted Update, a-be-it, I never detected anything wrong.

Michael

Last edited:
Reaction score
14271 is an Insider release. You should not be surprised when something stops working..

Is this a different machine from the one in your previous post last evening? Using Insider releases on a 'production' machine is very brave especially as the Insider ones are on a new path.

I am not totally surprised when it stopped working, it was just that I had never had a problem before and was wondering if something went wrong as opposed to a legitimist Release problem during the upgrade install.

No, it is the same machine. It is my Test Machine for my Insider Releases where I test my real world, day-to-day applications

Michael

Reaction score
One of my Insider machines gets that HP imaging Null Print as well as another one that is Null fax. They do no harm but keep coming back. The only way I found to be rid of them was to totally disconnect and de-install my HP printer.

My Insider releaase is 14267.rst1 160213-2310

hTconeM9user

Running Latest version Office insider 376
Reaction score

Now version 1511 build 10586.122

Reaction score
THat (.122) is todays official production release. The Insider stuff is just about to change at an accelerated rate and chasing problems with that should be carefully kept in the Insider thread or we will; be in danger iof giving incorrect advice to regular users.

hTconeM9user

Running Latest version Office insider 376
Reaction score
THat (.122) is todays official production release. The Insider stuff is just about to change at an accelerated rate and chasing problems with that should be carefully kept in the Insider thread or we will; be in danger iof giving incorrect advice to regular users.

I was replying to you to let you know
Yes if he is on insider then he should not try and use his every day computer and hope he does not get hic cups

Reaction score
This afternoon I upgraded my system to Version 14271_rs1_Release 160218-2310. It appeared to update ok but about 20 minutes later the screen went from two monitors to one and then unable to change resolution. No cursor most of the time on the display that worked or at best very jerky. Virtually useless.

Michael
I have a three monitor setup and used to be on the Fast Track. Most updates got lost between the screens so it is important to have all monitors switched on else what you think is a blank screen or no prompt is misleading you and the prompt is waiting on another screen. I also discovered that during one update the update screen appeared to have no "continue" button. But it was there but off-screen as the resolution was wrong! Windows does it's best to setup monitors during install/upgrades but clearly struggles sometimes. A good tip is to remove all graphics drivers totally before you upgrade as this seems to help.

Ask a Question