SOLVED Windows Update KB4022725 issues

Reaction score
Buggy update KB4022725 breaks HP printer driver. I noticed the wireless network printer driver was no longer working once Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems KB4022725 had installed. Prior to the update printer driver version 32.3 (direct from HP) had been installed and working.
Following the update the HP Officejet pro printer was still visible in devices and printers, but I was unable to print via network. I manually uninstalled the update and recovered the printer functionality. Problem is auto update in windows 10 keeps nagging to reinstall the update and the problem is reproducible. Any help would be appreciated!

Reaction score
After Win 10 updates have you tried reinstalling the printer drivers? That would probably fix the issue. For some reason a lot of the Win 10 updates delete or mess up printer drivers. A reinstall of the drivers usually fixes the issue.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi helloha,

Welcome to the Forum.

Microsoft provide a tool to prevent updates such as the driver update you are having problems with.

You can download that from here:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/2/2/f22d5fdb-59cd-4275-8c95-1be17bf70b21/wushowhide.diagcab

Once downloaded, run the wushowhide.diagcab. This analyzes the Windows Update service to see what is available for your computer, then displays a list. Any items you do not want place a check next to.

When done, you can simply continue using the normal Windows update from there on in.

Keep that file though, as its a good idea to run it after any major updates from Microsoft, to double-check no new items are going to be offered that you will not want.

You can also make some adjustments yourself, without using the above tool. For information on how to do that refer to this Article I published on our Forum:

https://www.windows10forums.com/art...-from-downloading-hardware-driver-updates.54/

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
After Win 10 updates have you tried reinstalling the printer drivers? That would probably fix the issue. For some reason a lot of the Win 10 updates delete or mess up printer drivers. A reinstall of the drivers usually fixes the issue.

Hi ram1220,

Following the KB4022725 update the HP driver installation tool from HP fails to install the driver neither does updating the driver via windows printer properties work. I am having to simply delay the update re-installation but its getting frustrating with repeated windows popups prompting a restart to update.

Reaction score
Hi helloha,

Welcome to the Forum.

Microsoft provide a tool to prevent updates such as the driver update you are having problems with.

You can download that from here:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/2/2/f22d5fdb-59cd-4275-8c95-1be17bf70b21/wushowhide.diagcab

Once downloaded, run the wushowhide.diagcab. This analyzes the Windows Update service to see what is available for your computer, then displays a list. Any items you do not want place a check next to.

When done, you can simply continue using the normal Windows update from there on in.

Keep that file though, as its a good idea to run it after any major updates from Microsoft, to double-check no new items are going to be offered that you will not want.

You can also make some adjustments yourself, without using the above tool. For information on how to do that refer to this Article I published on our Forum:

https://www.windows10forums.com/art...-from-downloading-hardware-driver-updates.54/

Regards,

Regedit32

Thank you Regedit32,
I will try the Microsoft tool as you suggest, fingers crossed.

Reaction score
Thank you Regedit32,
I will try the Microsoft tool as you suggest, fingers crossed.

Microsoft tool did not work despite finding a HP driver update and marking to hide it :(
Once my PC restarted and KB4022725 had installed the HP driver stopped working.
Running the tool after this did not list the HP driver so I assume the existing driver had been updated to the broken version.

Reaction score
Ok what is interesting is that the HP printer driver version when looked up in device manager> printers> remains unchanged after installing KB4022725 but for some reason I am unable to print. Uninstall KB4022725 and all is well.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Uninstall KB4022725 and all is well.

That may be your best bet until Microsoft release a more recent cumulative update which may hopefully address whatever it is that is upsetting your Wireless connectivity to the Printer.

One possibility though, you could try after installing KB4022725 would be to them go to the Printer and using its buttons reset the password used to connect to the Wireless connection. I did that myself recently with one of Microsoft's rs_prereleases, to resolve my own printing issue on an HP computer.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You may want to check your "Update history" -> "Driver Updates"
I would expect any updates to hardware devices that were being generated by Windows Update to be shown there.
IF the printer driver isn't being updated, perhaps an update is being applied to the port (how the printer is connected to the computer).

Capture2.png

Maybe you'll see something there that catches your eye.
Although that doesn't explain how removing the update fixes the printer problem, as driver updates generally come down separately / independent of the cumulative updates.
Have you attempted to simply uninstall the printer and any associated driver / software package(s), after the update or even before applying the update and then post update, reinstalling the printer with the appropriate manufacturer's installation files.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well, well it is sometimes the simplest things we do not think to do.
Following installation of KB4022725 simply uninstall the HP driver via control panel.
Add printer via Control panel> Devices>Printers& scanners>Add a printer or scanner
Windows reinstalls driver and all works :)
Thank you to moderators Regedit32 and Trouble for your help.

Ask a Question