SOLVED Windows update problem - microsoft visual C++

Reaction score
The KB3119142 update (microsoft visual C++ 2012 update & redistribution package) has been installed and reinstalled on my system dozens of times (i.e. as shown in my update history). Each time the install is shown as successful and yet it continues to be included in each Windows update and continually reinstalled. Has anyone else encountered this issue?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Supposedly if you go here
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features
Select the problem program, click the "Change" button and choose the repair option it's suppose to stop that from happening in the future.
Seems to work for some, maybe not for everyone.
NOTE: You'll likely have two x64 and x86, so.....
You may have to perform the repair on both the installs.

Reaction score
In response to your suggestion, I highlighted the 2012 Visual C++ redistribution program in the Programs and Features screen, and the 'repair' option is not shown as available for those programs. Also, the installed programs list included both 2013 and 2015 Visual C++ redistribution packages as well, so why would Windows be trying to install a 2012 version?

Reaction score
Try and Highlite each one in turn (you have probably got more than one?) and select change. Then the option, in a couple of them, to "repair" will appear.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Highlighting it is not enough you have to then click the change button which should then produce this

Capture2.JPG

As for why it is continuously updating, I have no idea. But we've heard it from several people.

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. Highlighting the programs as recommended in Programs and Features and doing the repair has fixed the problem. Again, thanks...

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thanks for posting back and updating your thread with that information.
Much appreciated and glad to hear that if did work for you.
Regards
Randy

Ask a Question