Windows Update Repeats

Reaction score
windows update keeps trying to install update that have been installed already.
how can I fix this?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Julsie,

Would you be able to provide details as to which update / updates are repeating?
  • For example: KB3119142 , or Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 etcetera

There are generally a few reasons for a particular update being offered repeatedly for another download and install:
  • The most common reason is the original update/install was unsuccessful and thus fail to correctly install
  • Another possibility is the Window Update Registry is somehow corrupt and failing to recognize the particular update has all ready been downloaded and installed
  • Another possibility is you have third party programs installed that trigger the need for an update of something you all ready downloaded

The Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 update has continually popped up for many Windows 10 users and the method to stop this was provided by Microsoft last year:
  • In search box type: Programs and Features | hit your Enter key
  • Scroll down list and left click once on Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 | then click Repair

Not all updates end up listed in this console however. Most infact are listed in the advanced settings of the Windows Update app. To get to that list of updates do the following:
  • Press Winkey + I | click on Update & Security | click on Advanced options | click on View your update history | click on Uninstall updates
  • Give the window that opens a moment to populate then locate the update repeatedly downloading and installing. After clicking on it in the top bar you may get the option to # Uninstall, or # Repair
  • You could try the Repair option as this may work for other updates.
  • The other thing you could check for is whether any error message is displayed for that particular update, and if there is then go to http://support.microsoft.com and enter the error message or code into their search box to see If Microsoft are offering any solutions for the issue yet

Or if you prefer simply post any error messages here for someone to take a look at for you.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Update is trying to install HP drivers for my photo smart, 7520 printer.
However, my software is absolutely up-to-date. The "update" refers to software off 2009, which I certainly do not need.
When looking at the update history, it would appear that it has been installed and there are about 20 to 30 "failed updates".
My question is, how do I get one of these?
How do I stop the update from trying to update continuously?

Thank you for your reply.
Looking forward to any further advice

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Julsie,

Based on the information you provided it appears that Windows Updater has looped itself into a Ghost Update; that is an unnecessary update (in this case a printer driver). The reason you are seeing ''Failed'' is because during its attempt in install the OS realizes this driver is not required or older than the current one in use; thus the installation halts. Unfortunately for you Windows Updater does not remember this so continuously offers this same update.

There is a solution for this to prevent it sending this update though:
  • Go to this Microsoft webpage: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/search?query=kb3073930
  • Click on the URL download this troubleshooter near the top of the Microsoft Webpage
  • Once downloaded double-click on wushowhide.diagcab (the file you just downloaded) to run
    • When it opens click Next
    • Click on --> Hide Updates
    • A window will populate with your updates. Place a checkmark next to the HP Update you do not wish to continually download
    • Click Next
    • Click Close

This process Hides the update permanently thus preventing Windows Update offering it again.

If you later wanted to actually download it, simply repeat steps above but rather than clicking "--> Hide Updates" you'd click "--> Show hidden updates" at step two

Happy Computing.

Regedit32

Ask a Question