Windows Update

Reaction score
I've been getting Definition updates for Windows Defender in the Windows Update utility. I just install them and continue on with whatever I'm doing. I've now noticed that these updates all have the same KB number (KB2267602) and I've installed it 7 times since installing Win10 preview. The feedback page is a real mess, confusing and near impossible to navigate or find anything as far as adding feedback. I can't find my feedback listed and the search function isn't working so I can't get an idea if the multiple installs of the same number is a common problem or not. Anyone in here have an idea if the contents of the KB are actually updated or am I just installing the same update over and over?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
That is not an error, nor a bug. That is the way they are branding the Defender updates.
Go to Control Panel-> Windows Updates -> View update history
If you are current you should see five defender definition updates with the same KB number, but with different definition numbers.
I think you're OK.

Reaction score
Correct. And it isnt unique to Windows X. It has been that way right through Windows 8

Reaction score
Thanks Trouble and Dave. I didn't notice the different definition numbers.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Just checking my updates, I only have 2 and then manually clicked for updates, I have only one more for a total of 3. So am I missing a few?

Reaction score
I think not. I only have two, plus four defender updates. But the latter depends on how often you check. Looks like you may be missing a couple of definition updates, though?

Reaction score
I'm not sure that Windows Update is ready for prime time. I have installed 9 Defender definition updates since installing Win10 on Oct 1. When I open update it most often shows that it has never checked for updates but if I manually activate update checker it will then show the current date. This morning though I opened update and it was showing 2 important updates but last time checked shows never. I manually checked for updates and the most recent check entry remained at Never as did the Updates were installed even though update history shows the definition update installed this morning. The preview is supposed to automatically check and install updates and the option to change that has been removed or disabled but it can still be activated manually. One update, Intel Management Engine Interface, continuously fails to install.

update3.jpg

Reaction score
To Dipsy.....

Suggestions only.......
1. Run a system file check ( sfc /scannow ) to look for corrupt files. It will try to do repair if any found.
If you don't know how to do that, please post back.
2.If sfc /scannow reports that it finds corrupt files but unable to repair, use this method to restore health.....
In the same cmd ( run as admin ) window, copy/paste this command....
DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
press Enter.
It will take quite a while.
It will tell you the result at the end.
Hope that will fix the issue

Reaction score
Good morning david. I ran the sfc and it found some errors it was unable to repair so I ran the DISM routine and it came back stating errors had been corrected. Ran sfc again and once again it found errors it was unable to correct. The log files are realllllly long and I'm not sure what to look for, however, the DISM log contained several warnings that appear to be associated with with missing drivers. Don't know where to go from here since this is after all a preview and not the final release. Here is a picture of the sfc scan:

Attachments

• system scan 1.jpg
    system scan 1.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 758
Reaction score
I've already installed 2 this morning. 1.185.2407.0 and 1.185.2434.0 and the update window is still showing never checked and never installed updates.

Reaction score
........... DISM routine and it came back stating errors had been corrected...........

Are you saying Windows Update still has the same issue after DISM had corrected the errors ?

Reaction score
........... DISM routine and it came back stating errors had been corrected...........

Are you saying Windows Update still has the same issue after DISM had corrected the errors ?

Update still has the same issue. I looked just before I came here and it was showing it had never checked nor installed updates. When I ran the DISM routine it reported the restore operation was successful. However when I reran SFC it again reported errors that it couldn't repair. I don't know if any of this is related to the Windows Update program or not.

Reaction score
Update still has the same issue. I looked just before I came here and it was showing it had never checked nor installed updates. When I ran the DISM routine it reported the restore operation was successful. However when I reran SFC it again reported errors that it couldn't repair. I don't know if any of this is related to the Windows Update program or not.

If you don't mind, I would suggest you do the dism again, and again until sfc shows no corrupt files anymore.
Other than that, I have no new ideas.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Is it necessary to reboot once you've completed /restorehealth before running the System File Checker again??

Reaction score
Not when I used it to fix my problems. But then, I never went right back and did another sfc.
Reboot is always a sound practice.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I actually only used it once or twice myself, but I think in both instances I rebooted. Still don't know if it was necessary or not.

Ask a Question