Windows Update

Reaction score
I've run sfc and DISM a number of times now and have rebooted also but sfc is still finding errors that it cannot repair. Just checked and Windows Update is showing never checked and never updated. I'm not going to obsess or worry about it though since the system appears to be operating normally with no issues yet. I imagine that MS hasn't finished populating the driver database and probably some other stuff as well. Still have a long time till the final release date.

Reaction score
Assuming you are using a virtual machine to run Win 10 TP ( I certainly hope that is the case ), and you have nothing better to do......
remove the Win 10 TP from the vm and reinstall.

I used VMware Player to install the Win 10 TP 32-bit.
My host is Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit.
I had no issue such as yours.
I did have corrupt files issue but dism fixed the problem.
So far it is running fine.

Reaction score
I removed all the drives from my 2nd computer, put in a new 120GB SSD and installed Win10 preview on it. I kind of hate uninstalling it and going through the setup routine again but I might when I'm feeling a bit bored or just need something to do. Everything appears to be running normally so I'm not really sure what the corrupt files might be doing. Actually I don't know if they're corrupt or just missing.

Reaction score
Have you solved the problem, Dipsy?

This is mine, on opening up today:

update.png

Reaction score
Looks like mine is broken this morning. I've downloaded and burned a fresh copy of the preview so I think I may just do a reinstall to see what happens. I may be gone for a bit till I get back up and running.

update broken.jpg

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Mine is broken as well this morning.
Talked to a friend on the East Coast and his is broken as well. Same error and you and I are getting.
Talked to a friend in London who is not having that issue. So.....
I think I will wait. I suspect that either there is a problem with the CDN (Content Delivery Network) servicing the U.S. or the U.S. update servers are either suspended for some reason (possibly in consideration of this rumored "New Build" that is pending) or for some other unknown reason.
In any case, all I was getting lately was Defender updates anyway.

And at least you're not getting the
Never
Never
underneath regarding previous updates.

Reaction score
Reboot.
Try Win Updates again.
I'm in Canada and 1 Wowsn Defender update was installed today....... manually too.

1.jpg

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Yep.... started working again sometime around 12:00 noon Chicago time.... as seems to be the case often enough with Windows Update, especially on update Tuesdays (even though that is not until next week), it just seems that noon my time is usually when I see them.
That would be about 10:00 A.M. out Redmond way.

Reaction score
Finished a clean reinstall, setting up and installing programs. Installed all motherboard drivers and updates from ASUS and everything appears to be working. Ran sfc before I started installing programs and settings and it finished with errors it couldn't repair. DISM didn't fix it either. Finished installing all programs and updates and sfc still finding errors. Windows Update looks like it is functioning normally for the moment. Am I the only one coming up with unrepairable errors in sfc?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Am I the only one coming up with unrepairable errors in sfc?
I thought that, that was a very good question, so....
I tried it and the answer is NO you're not the only one.

It took a very long time, so I knew I was likely going to find a pretty big error file so after it was completed %100 percent and displayed what we've both probably seen I ran
findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >sfcdetails.txt
Which I've attached in case someone wants to compare.
Personally, I'm not going to worry about it at this point and chalk it up to..... Hey; It's an early, very early preview and some stuff is just not gonna work.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hello again Trouble. I'm not worried about the errors since everything seems to be working normally so far. No idea what the errors are all about or what they are affecting, if anything. I'm glad I'm not the only one though. Couldn't open your posted file so I don't know how it compares to what I find in c:\windows\logs\CBS. Looks like quite a few hundred lines in the long list and on a quick look through it seems most of the multitude of errors have to do with "regenerating a file" Here's a couple of lines if they will fit in here:

2014-10-07 09:57:51, Error CSI 00000050 (F) Failed on regenerating file [l:24{12}]"BCD-Template"[gle=0x80004005]
2014-10-07 09:57:51, Info CSI 00000051 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:24{12}]"BCD-Template" of Microsoft-Windows-Base Technologies-BCD Template-Client, Version = 6.4.9841.0, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, file cannot be decompressed

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Yes mine has the same lines,, along with many many lines reference true type fonts that it couldn't repair, etc., etc.,
I'll try attaching it again. It's just a compressed zip file and should be easily enough unzipped by the native windows service as that is what I used to zip it up.

Attachments

• sfcdetails.zip
    32.9 KB · Views: 766
Reaction score
I think we're both seeing the same things Trouble. It appears that MS might not be finished refining some files for Win10. I probably should post this up on the feedback page.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Good luck... That thing is so cluttered I can't hardly make heads or tails of it.

Ask a Question