WordPad's strange font behavior

Reaction score
I consider this my experience of font behavior in WordPad a rather new one: I write some text in WordPad. The default font is Calibri 11pt (oddly enough). I usually prefer Arial so I mark the whole text and change to Arial. Now, when I put the cursor somewhere inside this Arial text again, the font in the font selection box changes back to Calibri (but the size remains correct) and when I write, the newly inserted text is in Calibri, not Arial! You would expect it to be Arial. Even a single character within a word is given the "wrong" font. Like this. Strange, isn't it? Note: it doesn't matter which ever font I choose originally, it has nothing to do with Arial. See attached image for more information (yellow marks text with wrong font) .

Attachments

• WordPad-font-issue.png
    WordPad-font-issue.png
    6.9 KB · Views: 310
Reaction score
I think that is, historically, normal behaviour? The indicator is showing, still, the default. Select the whole test you have written and see what you then get.

Reaction score
No, this is not the default behavior. I have another PC where WordPad behaves as expected, i.e. uses the font already set for the text you want to edit. I guess I should have mentioned it. What I see now on the "faulty" PC is some behavior which is not the default - an error in Windows settings in some way. I was hoping for someone to have a clue. (W10 on both computers).

Reaction score
It is behaving quite normally on (three) computers that I have available,, but, I am set up for the Danish language. I cannot see any reason why, though, that should influence it. Wait for another member to comment.

Reaction score
I checked my WordPad on latest build and all seems well, can change parts of text to a different Font with different size, Bold a few words, Italicize a few, etc., and all seems well. Accuracy in Selecting text to change does seem an issue with a mouse or Touchpad.

Reaction score
... can change parts of text to a different Font with different size ...
This is not the issue, I can do that as well. But then I move the cursor back to add new text ... lo and behold! the new text gets a different font. Like: this is what I expect but this is what I get.

Reaction score
Not seeing that issue on any of mine. Maybe an installed language/locale issue?

Reaction score
It must be a "local" issue as it happens only one one of my two PCs. And it must be Windows 10 that has gotten screwed up. And it has happened quite recently. But whit as "it"?

Reaction score
Hi. Got latest win 21h2. Very (!) stupid behaviour, i have an rtf with verdana, put the cursor in a word type some, it gets calibri! What the heck?
Changinf the font at that position to verdana, type again, calibri!
Amazingly annoying!
What to do?
Thanks for any tips.

Reaction score
I just opened a .txt file on my Win11 Wordpad and see that the position of the cursor can be critical, if a word is in Calibri the next word after a space will be Calibri but if putting the cursor after a space or against the beginning of that next word then changing to Arial anything next will be Arial. Same for selecting several letters in a word and making a change the next letter typed will show that change.
1657459222292.png

Reaction score
Hi. You mean a .txt file, not .rtf?
.txt does not have formatting info.
In my win10, whatever font in .rtf file, always calibri, unless selecting text and changing font. Next time, whereever in text, new letter is calibri. Drives me insane...

Ask a Question