Worry about reg changes.

Reaction score
I installed a third party software: Add Eject Close CD/DVD Tray to Context Menu, because I couldn't find any way to get that feature back in the context menu. My old computer guy taught me to do that after he replaced two DVD drives in my last computer. Said I wouldn't wear them out so fast, if I used a computer command rather than the emergency release on the tower. And it seemed to be working-the last drive had been going strong for a number of years, and was still working flawlessly when I bought a new computer (Win 10).

Well, Add Eject Close worked fine for a couple days. And, then it stopped working. Add Eject Close is not a program I can uninstall. It's a .reg file on my desktop that I ran. Can I use Restore to get back to a registry without Add Eject Close.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Can I use Restore to get back to a registry without Add Eject Close.
Yep. Generally a System Restore point prior to you having ran the .reg file will put the registry back to the way it was.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Nels,

If you have a restore point that pre-dates the first use of this REG file you are referring to then yes, you could use that restore point to simulate the removal of said program.

However, if its been a long long time since you used this REG file, even if by chance you did have a restore point pre-dating the first use of it, the use of such a restore point mya prove to be unwise as it would at the same time compromise any security or other windows updates.

Can you not simply instead manually remove the modifications your REG file made to the Windows Registry?

Reaction score
Hi Nels,

To add to regedit32's comment, if you can just look at the contents of your .reg file by opening it in Notepad, you can get a sense of exactly what was added to your registry. Even if you can paste the contents of said .reg file to the forum here, it might be easy for us to guide you, in a safe manner, in reversing the register entry manually.

Especially given the registry experience of regedit32, I believe you will receive some sound advice one way or the other.

best regards, Allan

Reaction score
Usual advice. It is tricky to try yourself, or run third party progs, which change the registry. Before you even attempt either, export the registry to a safe place

Reaction score
Thank you, davehc, for the good advise I've heard before , but needed to be reminded of. Thank you Allan10, for that desperately needed offer of help, I am really kind of a bumbler, I know enough to know. that doesn't work in the registry.
Man, I'm having a heck of a time. At first it wouldn't upload my reg file. Then, I finally figured how to open the reg with notepad. And it won't let me upload the txt. I think they are each about 245,000 KB, would that be about 2 1/2
rimes the limit?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
That sounds more like your whole registry.
Typically a single .reg file intended to merge a particular edit string would be more in the few KB type range maybe a hundred KB and I think that is what the member was asking for just that particular "Add Eject" .reg file

Reaction score
Nels.

Right click the start icon and select "Run"
Type regedit and, if all is normal, it opens the registry for editing.

First. Open HKEY_Current_User andf the Software. See if you have an entry there for the offending program. If so, delete it.

Ditto HKEY_ Local_Machine.

See if that is sufficient. If not, open the reg again:

Go to the top of the tree (Computer) and select "Find"
Type in, exactly, Eject Close and enter

This will stopo at the first instance of the program, which you can then delete. From then, press F3 to continuie to scan the registry each time. You may find several entries.

Reaction score
I selected "computer" at the top of the tree, found "Find" in the edit menu, in the Find What window I entered
"Eject Close". A half hour later, its still searching. Did that twice.
Reg ed find.jpg

But, when I stop the search, this came up:
reg key.jpg

Do I delete it, then Continue (F3, I think).
I was thinking I would see something appear on that big blank search window, like other windows searches. Then again maybe the registry is not supposed to be like other Windows.

Last edited:
Reaction score
1. It stopped searching when it got to the item you have posted. It is waiting for further action from yourself. Do not delete that item, it is unimportant. Only delete items which specifically say Eject Close
Press F3 and let it continue until it finds something more positive. The whole process should not take more than one or two minutes

Reaction score
Hi Nels,

Where are u on this?

That big reg file you mentions is like Trouble said. It's likely your entire registry. You would need wordpad to open it! Look at the date and time of this big reg file? And also what is the name of the big reg file. It may be possible it was created as a back up when the third part app installed the context menu item into your reg. And left a copy of just the eject context menu entry on your desktop? That's what we need to see.

we are interested in seeing the contents of the eject close .reg file on your desktop that you used to make the entry into your registry in the first place. If we can see that, we could go in looking for it, and go from there. But it would be a very small reg file. That is where regedit32 was going. He, like me wishes to see the contents of the .reg file on your desktop.

Note: there is a regedit.exe program and a more powerful regedt32.exe program in the windows environment. But our most powerful regedit32 is actually not a program, but a valued guru on this forum! :) so confusing,...

It sounds like you have associated the .reg extension with notepad. That is a very good thing. In fact I keep it like that on my system because I have a few .reg files kicking around and share the system with family. I would rather have .reg files opened in notepad when others double clicked them, that have them launched into the registry with regedit..

Be careful. right-click on the small .reg and use "Open With.." from the context menu. Ensure it is notepad your are using and ensure it is check as the default program. Then cut the contents to your clipboard them paste them into your next reply. Again to be clear, the Small reg file from your desktop, NOT the huge monster you last attempted to open with notepad.

Please update us.

best regards, allan

Ask a Question