Wrong Hard Disk Space

Reaction score
Hi Gents,

I recently got a Dell laptop (500GB SSD) as it by default came with only C: drive (Single Drive) , I went ahead and tried to shrink the volume to 141appx GB so that with rest of the unallocated I can create a second say D: drive. It first threw some error like "Operation failed" something like that I don't really remember and secondly the whole trimmed space is now not visible and is hidden.. See below screen-shot :-

Drive.PNG

I am wondering if anyone have encountered same issue before or if they were able to resolve it without formatting the laptop.

Reaction score
Hi Naveen,

you can try using a 3rd party partitioning tool like GParted (Gnome Partition Editor) and create a bootable USB stick or DVD and boot from it!. :)

If you have never used a Linux based OS, they have an FAQ page.

Reaction score
Hi Wolfie, Maybe I am not able to let you understand what the actual issue is, did you noticed the space difference in the pic I have posted.

Reaction score
I would definitely download GParted and see how that is reporting your partitions. It is odd that it's showing a 471.56 gb windows partition on the bottom, but only reporting 141.12 gb on top.Sounds like something went wrong in the partitioning. Windows disk maintenance tool isn't very good. I've only used GParted in linux, so I'm not sure how well it works in windows. I use AOMEI Partition Assistant just because it's what I'm familiar with. But give GParted a try and just see what it's reporting.

Reaction score
Hi Wolfie, Maybe I am not able to let you understand what the actual issue is, did you noticed the space difference in the pic I have posted.
Hi Naveen,

looks a little odd agreed!, a pic of my layout below (with Linux partitions to the right of C: drive). :) So as both @BigFeet and I suggest, try GParted and see if you can make more sense of it. :)

1600236109726.png

Ask a Question