100% disc use on startup

Reaction score
I've had this problem for a year or more and see lots of similar posts online. Every time I start my laptop the disc usage spikes to 100%, yet checking with task manager there are no processes running except a system app or other app using minimal resources. I've tried disabling superfetch and other services I don't even remember over more than a year, but nothing has helped.

The boot and startup drags nearly to a halt, length of time varies proportionately to the length of time that the PC has been off. Sometimes 5 or ten minutes, to as little as a minute if the PC has recently been running. I've given up, only hoping after the latest update that the problem might be resolved, but it hasn't happened. Any suggestions out there?

Reaction score
Hi Menno,

I suspect it is related to the Antimalware App which runs at high peaks quite often?.

Several tips to speed up Win 10 here:

What version of Win 10 do you have?:

https://www.windows10forums.com/thr...s-10-to-the-latest-version.13015/#post-107589 :)

Reaction score
Running version 1903, build 18362.719. The 100% usage only occurs at startup. I don't see "high peaks" but rather a solid "graph" at disc usage on the "performance" tab. (100%) I've read that Windows Defender has been ID'd as the culprit for some.

Reaction score
OK, I'll get on it. Since the first post I tried to disable Defender, which isn't as simple as it once was. Still got the disc spike. BTW, I watched the usage and repeatedly stopped Cortana, and it seemed to have an effect on the usage, i.e. usage dropped then spiked again when Cortana restarted. I'll get the upgrade. Thanks

Reaction score
OK...upgraded to 1909 and have all updates. I also temporarily uninstalled antivirus. No change. Still got 100% disc usage.

I did however confirm that Cortana is the culprit, but they make it nigh on impossible to disable. I watched the usage as I repeatedly "end task" with task manager. The instant I clicked, the usage dropped to 75-80%. Cortana restarted and the usage spiked again. I did this repeatedly until Cortana didn't show up. The usage spiked again, but no sign of Cortana to end again. Maybe she's hiding. :)

Is there anything short of a registry tweak to stifle Ms. Cortana? Any other thoughts?

Reaction score
Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Menno.

Coratna and several other bits & pieces in Windows 10, MicroScrap insist on spying on us so I guess we have to live with it!.

Is your problem solved now?, if so, please mark the thread as such so it helps others. :)

Reaction score
Well, sorry to say that I followed the instructions to the letter, but no joy. (I had to add the "Windows Search" key), and after I made the tweak I logged out and back in again and Cortana was/is still there. :rolleyes:
I tried rebooting, and still there. I went back into the registry and double checked - everything is as it should be. Seemed like a simple hack. This Ms. Cortana is not cooperating.

Reaction score
Thanks for your help with this Wolfie, I appreciate your patience and persistence. I'm not sure losing the search is worth it to get rid of Cortana. The odd thing is that with 2 laptops and a PC all running Win 10, I only get this 100% disc problem with one laptop. That should tell me something, but I have no idea what. :confused: I'll let you know if I figure something out.

Reaction score
Hi Menno,

I really don't know what else to suggest, as you have said, each computer is different and I don't know why one would have other problems whereas another works fine, it might be hardware related but I simply cannot answer that!. :)

Ask a Question