About 45 minutes ago

Reaction score
10122 installed. Took about 3 hours and 10 minutes from downloading to finishing installing.

Near the end, notice some strange, perhaps funny, notifications......

1. Just a few more tweaks

2. Unfortunately it's taking longer than usual.

I never saw those 2 until this build.

Initial assessment : everything is working fine except Cortana. It's not enabled and can't find way to enable it.
adding : Cortana is back on. No more issue.

I got the same, Trouble.

Horses for courses, possibly. But this was the slowest install ever for me. About twenty minutes from booting the DVD, to the config section.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I got the same, Trouble.
That is a seriously ugly Start Menu if you pin your normal Win32 application shortcuts to it, the native tiles appear crisp and clear but not my other apps, not even Microsoft's own apps, from Office or IE, etc., and......
You can't take it to full screen on the fly anymore but you can set it to full time full screen from the personalization menu, which makes it even uglier if that's possible.
Classic Shell to the rescue.
Microsoft has beaten me into submission..... I give up.
They really need to get some of these minor annoyances under control.
Like the "People" app works perfectly fine on my clean install but on my Update / Upgrade it still opens briefly and then closes / disappears.
Gpedit opens without errors (finally / again) but it still ignores by settings to "Do not display the lock screen" (both installations).
Haven't tested a safe mode boot yet to see if the Start Button / Menu might actually work.

Reaction score
I guess I'm lucky. Update to 10122 on both of my computers was downloaded and installed in less than 30 minutes. I also just now noticed that 2 of my start menu icons are all fuzzy.

Once again Windows seems to have repaired itself. I posted above that my Paint Shop Pro wouldn't open due to a missing .dll. I just now clicked on the fuzzy icon and the program opened normally. The computer was shut down during the night and there are no updates showing except for a C++ service pack that installed yesterday. I installed the 64 bit version of Paint Shop Pro so I don't know why the start menu icon is all fuzzy looking. The Windows Photo Gallery icon is also fuzzy.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I guess I'm lucky. Update to 10122 on both of my computers was downloaded and installed in less than 30 minutes. I also just now noticed that 2 of my start menu icons are all fuzzy.

Once again Windows seems to have repaired itself. I posted above that my Paint Shop Pro wouldn't open due to a missing .dll. I just now clicked on the fuzzy icon and the program opened normally. The computer was shut down during the night and there are no updates showing except for a C++ service pack that installed yesterday. I installed the 64 bit version of Paint Shop Pro so I don't know why the start menu icon is all fuzzy looking. The Windows Photo Gallery icon is also fuzzy.

Those installed by users are all fuzzy.
I read from another forum that a clean install will correct that.
And from the same forum, the forum owner posted links to ISO file.
I am a little reluctant to use it.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I can only report my own personal experience having performed an update / upgrade on one of my computers and a custom clean install from the ESD converted to an ISO on the second computer and in both instances the native tiles are all crisp and clean in their appearance and any Win32 app that I "Pin to Start" results in a horrible rendering of the tile. I have no idea what type or even if the native tiles use a bitmap image nor what the properties of that image might be. I just know that even the Microsoft Applications like, IE. Word, Excel, etc. all look bad.

Reaction score
Just found another glitch in Windows Live Mail and browsers. I use WLM as my newsgroup reader and when I open a .jpg, .gif or other picture format a window opens asking me to select the default program to open it. I have gone into the settings and set defaults and also set them in the control panel. For some reason this morning everytime I open a posted picture I'm asked to select a default program. I check the "always use this app" button and still it asks to set a default. The correct app is always highlighted and it will open the picture. I think MS screwed up when they started messing with the default application settings. I had also gone through the routine of setting Firefox as my default browser but when I booted up this morning and opened Firefox I again got the window asking me to select a default browser. Haven't tried rebooting yet to see if it will un-select Firefox again.

Reaction score
Those installed by users are all fuzzy.
I read from another forum that a clean install will correct that.
And from the same forum, the forum owner posted links to ISO file.
I am a little reluctant to use it.

Photo Gallery is a native program and all I did was pin it to start:

fuzzyicons.jpg

Reaction score
No. Photo Gallery is not native.
You get it same time you installed WLM through Windows Essentials.

Reaction score
I went to bed after my last comment. I woke to a machine that had hibernated after installing 10122. Time to look into the "powercfg -h off" command line, maybe that will keep my machine awake. It is sad when you have to resort to command line because of lack of options within Windows Settings.
  • Thumbs up for 10122
  • Thumbs down for Hibernation

Reaction score
The sleep/hibernation options are available in the power settings accessible from the control panel. Open your current power settings and click the advanced option. You can set hibernation to "never" from there.

Ask a Question