SOLVED Access Denied

Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago I started getting "Access Denied" errors when I try to move or delete files in an external hard drive I have. It doesn't happen in a second drive. I tried formatting the hard drive, to no avail. Out of desperation I bought a new external drive, but I'm having the same problem with it.
It's the same brand as the old one that I can still make changes to. I tried researching the problem on the internet, but none of the supposed "fixes" have fixed it. This is so frustrating. Why can't I make changes on my own hard drives? I haven't made any changes to the computer. I'm running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. Anybody know how to fix this and keep it from happening again? access_denied01.jpg access_denied02.jpg access_denied03.jpg access_denied04.jpg

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi qquaje2k,

Welcome to the Forum.

I had a similar issue with a slaved HDD recently, and mucked around for quite some time trying to work out what precisely was the issue. It turned out some of the files I had backed up were not only old but originally stored in a directory that included permissions for Creator Owner.

As the permissions for my HDD and its sub-folders and files did not include the Creator Owner in the permissions, I needed to add it by right-clicking the Drive in file explorer > selecting Properties > Security tab > Advanced > Change permissions and adding the Creator Owner to the list of objects granted permissions.

I'm not sure what you have all ready tried, but you mentioned other ideas did not work for you. It would be worth trying if you have some old directories/files from a formed OS you upgraded from on that storage device. If you need more instruction on how to do this just let me know.

Another possibility if you are attempting to manipulate a Elevated file/folder while logged in as a User not belonging to the Administrative Group, which likely would throw a UAC Access Denied alert your way; especially if the Owner of the file/folder is currently TrustedInstaller or SYSTEM.

Reaction score
I'm not sure what you mean about adding Creator Owner. I did access the properties of the drive, security tab, but didn't see what you were referring to. I did try to add some permissions, but got another error. This is a brand new drive, so there are no old files in it. Like I said, I have an older drive of the same make and style, and I can delete files from it.access_denied05.jpg

Regedit32

Reaction score
Well that rules out that as a probable cause then.

If you were going to add Creator Owner, after clicking the Change Permissions, you click Advanced then click Show names and select it from the list, or just type Creator Owner in the initial field and press Enter then Apply.

However, it seems that is not the issue from your latest post, so its not worth doing that.

What is the brand and model of your external drive?

Also, you mentioned you tried formatting one - what did you use as the form: NTFS? something else?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
IDK if this is true of all the folders you are having trouble with but I noticed that your OP shows Acronis folder and .tib file. IF you have Acronis running its' Sync Agent Service as well as its' Nonstop Backup Service that may be part of the problem.
You other image in a later posts show the SysVol which might also be problematic as it contains some semi-critical files
https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20031120-00/?p=41753/

As Regedit32 is intimating you may have to jump through some advanced security settings hoops inorder to delete some folders including
Take Ownership and cascade that to all child objects in the container
Stop inheritance from the parent container
Grant your user name explicit full control to the directory and cascade that to all child objects as well.

Reaction score
I've just discovered the problem is with the Acronis files, not with the drive. I can delete and move other files, just not Acronis. I can't even shred the Acronis files with AVG.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
As I mentioned above you may want to stop these three Acronis services.
Acronis Managed Machine Service Mini
Acronis Nonstop Backup Service
Acronis Sync Agent Service
Leaving just the
Acronis Scheduler2 Service running and automatic.

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
Got it figured out. There was an obscure setting in Acronis that our IT guy found. Turned it off and voila!

Ask a Question