After Build Update

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed what I think is a slight but still noticeable performance hit to their Windows 10 TP computer after updating to build 9860?
Granted this is not a Cray class computer I'm using here but it seems not to be quite as snappy, in general and overall, as it was before the update.
One of the reasons that I don't like "Upgrades" and prefer Custom Clean Installs whenever possible.
I already ran disk cleanup and got rid of the new Windows.OLD folder and then hit it a couple times with defrag but it didn't seem to help much, if at all.
Possibly my imagination but was wondering if anyone else had noticed anything.

Reaction score
All appears normal here. Boot time is quick and apps pop open as quickly as they always have. Internet speed is humming right along too. Any particular area where you have noticed a slowdown?

speedtest.jpg

Reaction score
No noticeable difference here. Still not superior to my Windows 8.1 OS, but time may tell.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Any particular area where you have noticed a slowdown?
Nope, just generally overall, and it's probably just my imagination.
I do appreciate the comment though, so thanks for checking, and the heads up as to what you are finding.

w10

Reaction score
I do appreciate the comment though, so thanks for checking, and the heads up as to what you are finding.

Yes, I also noticed that my laptop is slightly slower than before the upgrade to build 9860. With that said, I have done a clean install of build 9860 and it seems a bit snappier; however, it is too early to confirm my findings as I have not yet installed all programs. I'll provide a progress update later on in the day.

w10

Reaction score

OK, I just finished cleaning up my clean instal of build 9860 and it does seem a bit snappier than it was after the upgrade; However, this may be due to my test rig being a a low-end laptop. Specifically, I'm running a Lenovo B575 (circa 2010) with 8 gigs of ram, and an AMD E-350 dual core processor (not a barn-burner configuration). Anyway, I could just be realizing a slight benefit, on a marginally-equipped laptop, that might come with a clean install (vs an upgrade). Unfortunately, I have no idea what those specific benefits might be. Also, maybe those running a more powerful rig may not be able to notice the difference due to their increased processing power. Just a guess...

Reaction score
I just finished playing around with a stopwatch. Not the most accurate way but good enough to make a comparison between my Windows 8.1.1 and Windows 10 preview machines. Here's what I found when clicking the start/stop button on the watch and the task bar icon to open something: Cold boot to lock screen picture: 8 = 20 sec. 10 = 22 sec. Open Firefox: 8 = 2 sec. 10 = 1 sec. Open Win Live Mail: 8 = 1 sec. 10 = 1 sec. Open Internet Explorer: 8 = 1 sec. 10 = 1 sec. These times do not include the tenths of seconds so there are possibly some very minute differences but they would be totally insignificant for this purpose. The Windows 8.1.1 install has, of course been up and running much longer than Windows 10 and I didn't run any cleanup activities on either machine. The differences between the two systems are so minor as to be a non issue. Both machines are home built and the Windows 8.1.1 machine is newer, with a new motherboard, cpu and 16GB or RAM. The Windows 10 machine is older and has only 8GB RAM. The differences in hardware on the two machines appear to have no impact on either operating system's overall speed of processing.

Ask a Question