SOLVED After update, no task bar, no settings

Reaction score
Windows 10 updated itself two days ago. Since then, there are no icons on the task bar. Moving the mouse over the task bar produces gray squares where the icons should be. There are six squares for the six programs I normally access there. Right-clicking on a gray square provides access to the program. But the icon is not visible. Also, clicking on the Settings produces no result whatsoever. Right clicking allows pinning to start or task bar, neither of which happens. And, the time/date from the lower right corner is missing. Double clicking on the missing spot raises up a calendar with the time. I can live with these malfunctions, but the access to the settings needs to get resolved. Whew! Has anyone else run into these problems?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Has anyone else run into these problems?
No, I haven't personally, but......
I've seen multiple posts on this forum and others suggesting that many people are suffering a myriad of various and sundry problems after this most recent update and even some with the one from a week or so earlier.
It seems to be impacting the user profile of the user who is logged in at the time and actually performs the update. Try.....
Creating a new user as a member of the local administrator's group (not a standard user), log of from your account and log in as the new local user.
See if that account suffers from any of the symptoms you describe.

Ask a Question