Anyone able to connect to Windows 7 network

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I don't have a "Windows 7 network" exactly.
I have a typical workgroup setup, which consists of Windows 7 machine as well as Windows 8 and Windows 10 Tech Preview machines.
I did notice when I initially attempted to connect to a Windows 7 machine from both Windows 10 machines it failed.
I simply hit the "diagnose" button. It both instances after that process concluded (varied results not important), I closed that and attempted to reconnect and was prompted for credentials and was able to connect fine.
Not sure why the glitch .... but it was easy enough to overcome.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
how is the network setup?
are all the machines connected to the same router and or switch?
Do all the machines have the same workgroup name?
Do all the machines have unique machine names?
Are you able to see the machines in the network node of file explorer?
What exactly are you getting in the way of an error?

Reaction score
how is the network setup?
are all the machines connected to the same router and or switch? Yes
Do all the machines have the same workgroup name? Yes
Do all the machines have unique machine names? Yes
Are you able to see the machines in the network node of file explorer?
Thanks for the reply.
I can see the Windows 10 computer from Windows 7 computer. Can't see any other computers from windows 10.
What exactly are you getting in the way of an error?
Can't connect to the Windows 10 from Windows 7 PC. Asking for a password, but I don't remember using a password.
3 other windows 7 PC's on network and no problem connecting to them.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Can't connect to the Windows 10 from Windows 7 PC. Asking for a password, but I don't remember using a password.
Typically when you set up a new Windows 10 PC, you do so using your Microsoft ID and associated password. Unless you bypassed that and set it up using a local account.
In either case that is the credentials you are being prompted to enter on the Windows 7 machine when you are attempting a network connection to the Win 10 machine.
The format on the windows 7 machine will likely be in the format of
MachineName\UserName
Password (for that Username)
IE:
MyWin10Machine\JohnSmith
P@$$w0rd

Reaction score
Typically when you set up a new Windows 10 PC, you do so using your Microsoft ID and associated password. Unless you bypassed that and set it up using a local account.
In either case that is the credentials you are being prompted to enter on the Windows 7 machine when you are attempting a network connection to the Win 10 machine.
The format on the windows 7 machine will likely be in the format of
MachineName\UserName
Password (for that Username)
IE:
MyWin10Machine\JohnSmith
P@$$w0rd
Use Id and password I use for live.com and when I installed Windows 10, but no luck.
I have always had a mental block when it comes to networks. Been using Windows since Windows 1.0
:confused:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I assume since you are being prompted for credentials that you have the proper settings configured on the Windows 10 machine in the "Network and Sharing Center", "Change advanced sharing settings" link.
Turn on network discovery ticked.
Turn on automatic setup of network connected devices checked
and Turn on file and printer sharing ticked.
If you have these set properly then all you should have to do in the credentials box is enter
(e-mail address removed) or whatever microsoft ID you are using on the Windows 10 box
followed by the password that you are using for that ID.

On the Windows 10 box open a command prompt and type
whoami
just like that
Who Am I should return with the machine name \ account name you are using on the Windows 10 machine

Reaction score
I assume since you are being prompted for credentials that you have the proper settings configured on the Windows 10 machine in the "Network and Sharing Center", "Change advanced sharing settings" link.
If you have these set properly then all you should have to do in the credentials box is enter
(e-mail address removed) or whatever microsoft ID you are using on the Windows 10 box

whoami
just like that
Who Am I should return with the machine name \ account name you are using on the Windows 10 machine
Get a flash of the box, but that is it.
Tried from command prompt>I assume since you are being prompted for credentials that you have the proper settings configured on the Windows 10 machine in the "Network and Sharing Center", "Change advanced sharing settings" link.

whoami
just like that
Who Am I should return with the machine name \ account name you are using on the Windows 10

Reaction score
From run box the windows flashes then closes.
From command Prompt:
C:\:user\Ted\>cd /
C:\whoami
win10\ted

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
should be pretty much the same deal. I checked all my network nodes backward and forward and no problems except for the little "diagnose" issue I mentioned earlier.
Glad to hear that you're managing to make some progress anyhow.

Reaction score
should be pretty much the same deal. I checked all my network nodes backward and forward and no problems except for the little "diagnose" issue I mentioned earlier.
Glad to hear that you're managing to make some progress anyhow.
Thanks again. I work from home and don't like all the security features. I want to be able open all folders and files Tried "takeownership" but doesn't work. It did on Windows .*
It is just a matter of time as more people start using it.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I want to be able open all folders and files
Are you talking about not being able to open some files and or folders when logged on locally at the console? Which ones specifically?
OR
Are you talking about not being able to open them across the network?
Across the network you'll first need to share them and then you'll need to assign the appropriate share and ntfs permissions, under the sharing tab and the security tab of the item's properties you are sharing.

Reaction score
OK now able to access folders like Documents and Settings. I have network discovery on.
I can pretty much setup Windows the way I want it and not as Microsoft wants.
Running Classic Shell and trying other programs that ran on Windows 7. Have Windows 8.1 on the PC, but hardly used it.

Reaction score
Windows 10 network sharing just shows "Private Network." No options to set up WORKPLACE network. Windows 7 PC connecting just fine.
Shows in Network using xplorer2 and can connect to all drives.

Ask a Question