Anything but windows 10 ?

Reaction score
is there another programme we can use other than this crap ?
can't take edge off , can't take cortana off , can't get decent fonts and colours , cant take gaming bar off or any other unwanted apps . have to change permissions on OUR computers to get some rubbish off . constant updates , computer keeps going slow or freezing when windows 10 is doing some background stuff , no idea what but it's my computer so i should know . and so many other problems with this downgrade .
perhaps the makers of windows 10 can buy me a computer since they seem to think they own the one i have .

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Trev, I can only assume that you secretly like Windows 10 - as you've posted many threads like this in the past year, but still use it... here are just a few examples:
Normally I'd suggest that someone submits constructive feedback to MS if they don't like a feature in Windows, but in this case it appears you don't like anything about it, so there is a simple solution... just don't use it. There are lots of other good alternatives, that also happen to be free.

I would suggest that you take a look at Linux Mint and read up how to install it using a USB stick (you can run it off the USB stick first to see if you like it). They have their own forums where they will be happy to guide you though how it works if you get stuck.

Here's the link:
https://linuxmint.com

Reaction score
nope , cant stand it , was waiting for a decent reply to my complaints from anyone and especially from windows people . not everyone knows about computers but when i dont use or want something i want it gone and not forced to have it of=r ignored by windows people when i have a concern about their product they have forced on us . thank you for your reply and the link , i will look into it . i will still go on at windows 10 until someone has the decency to tell us how to rid unwanted stuff off our computers . i wouldnt go round someones house and redecorate it the way i like it and tell them they cant do a thing about it , same difference in my opinion . windows have us by the danglies andit is not on .

Reaction score
Various comments.
Edge. You can't take it off. Well in previous versions of Windows you couldn't remove IE so whats the difference.
Cortana. I just never use it. I do use the search but that is it.

I don't know what the gaming bar is...I don't think I have one.

Not seen this going slow or freezing for at least a year.

My main PC is a 8 year old I7 based machine...pretty sluggish by 2017 standards.

As for trying Linux. You might want to try Solus. A new Linux distro specifically designed for use on Desktops.
I have spent a few years with Linux before and after retiring. It does have thgis one big problem for many people...generally the newer Windows games don't run properly on it whether it is in a virtual machine or with Steam.

So trev, go and try Linux, Mint, Solus, whatever and come back and tell us what you think.

Reaction score
Later. I downloaded and tried Solus Budgie. Ran it from a thumb drive. Seemed very quick. Picked up my network immediately, took about 3 clicks to get my Bluetooth mouse. has Firefox and Libre Office. Kernel is fairly uptodate 4.12. I didn't install it on the machine nor did I mount a real disk to use. But I have a USB 3 SSD so I could probably set up and run from that.

I am going to see if there is a Raspberry Pi version. 2 minutes later. Nope, no ARM version.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well trev, why not install classic shell, one drive can be shut off, Cortana can be shut off, lock screen can be shut off. I seen in the latest articles column "how to hide the edge button IE 11" Most of what you seem to want to do is possible you just have to research a little to find the Articles on this forum or tutorials on other forums. Setting/apps/default apps you can set the defaults you want. Control Panel can be found by typing in control panel in the search box everything is still there as it always has been.

Having the pro version is quite handy as you'll have Group Policy Editor tool, Settings are much easier using this tool than editing your registry, Some settings are only available in the pro version. To me well worth the $99 for the upgrade to Pro.

Personally with Classic Shell and a few tweaks my desktop and system is quite similar to what I got used to in 2000,l XP and windows 7 If you walked by one of my workstation and sat down started working, you wouldn't know they are all on 10 Pro. There are some new things we have to learn, and there are some very knowledgeable people out there/Here that are more than willing to help us learn them.

Complaining about Microsoft in a peer to peer forum will get you now where's. Were all here to learn from each other and help others to learn what we have learned.

MS had decided this is how they want to sell windows we can either adapt or go back to windows 7 for a few more years. or move on to some other OS

Now then I pointed you to how to get rid of edge the Article and changing your default internet browser to IE, which problem do you want to solve next?

Ask a Question