SOLVED Apps open randomly when idle

Reaction score
I have a problem with random apps/files opening by themselves when my laptop is idle and I close the lid. I have sleep/power settings so that when plugged in the computer never sleeps. I am running windows 10 pro version 20HS. I have contacted support 5 times and each time a different tech tries to figure it out with it ending up doing everything from a recovery to this last one which was a clean boot of my computer using a fresh download from microsoft after doing a scrub and virus scan of the computer. It's gotten to the point of actually considering learning Linux. The last support tech said that she would need to talk to her supervisors/engineering and would give me a call back/email to let me know what she has found. That was 4 days ago.

These are the specs for my laptop:
Device name
Processor Intel(R) Celeron(R) N4120 CPU @ 1.10GHz 1.10 GHz
Installed RAM 8.00 GB (7.82 GB usable)
Device ID
Product ID 00330-80000-00000-AA448
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch Touch support with 10 touch points

Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 20H2
Installed on ‎2/‎13/‎2021
OS build 19042.631
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.31.0

Reaction score
Most of the time edge, file explorer, paint, Outlook, word, but pretty much all the apps at on time or another. Thought I had a virus but had McAfee do an in-depth scan with no problems detected. As I said I've done a clean boot and still have the problem

Reaction score
Most of the time edge, file explorer, paint, Outlook, word, but pretty much all the apps at on time or another. Thought I had a virus but had McAfee do an in-depth scan with no problems detected. As I said I've done a clean boot and still have the problem
After contacting Microsoft support six times ( and performing everything from restores to factory reset) I was finally escalated to an upper level support tech. After about 20 minutes of checking and testing he determined the touchscreen sensitivity was causing the problem. We checked this by disabling the touchscreen in the device manager. He said it is a fairly common problem he has seen before. I just wish they would pass this information on to the lower level techs. It would have saved me hours of effort and frustration not to mention in the process of all the resets etc. I lost some files that I am now trying to recover. The fix I came up with is simple. I attached 2 felt pads to that bottom corners of the keyboard so the top closes enough to disable the backlight without causing apps to open. Not rocket science but it will do until I find a way to adjust the touch sensitivity

Ask a Question