Article Updates

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
As there have been quite a few changes in the recent W10 update, I'm going through the articles section and updating them to make sure the information is correct :).

I just wanted to post this as a heads up, as depending on what changes, it may bump article discussion threads up the forum with update notifications.

A few of the articles have screenshots featuring white context menus, rather than the new default black colour scheme. I'm not changing those screenshots, as the content is the same (and it would take days to do :D).

Reaction score
Keep at it, Ian. I visit (as you are aware, several forums daily. You, and the moderator team, have managed to keep this, still, one of the friendliest forums on the web. Posts on many, are fading now, maybe because of the lack of possibilities with Windows 10 (?). But, maybe not as busy as a couple, but this forum plods along at a ver pleasant pace.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks Dave :). It's amazing how much Windows 10 has changed, I've checked around 12 articles so far, and 6 of them have required updates!

Reaction score
Ian Keep up the good work, you have an excellent team. I too visit the forum daily, just to browse.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
When someone has time, maybe they could write me an article on how to set .rtf files to default to Wordpad with "Word" installed (winword.exe).
The whole default programs, files, protocols has shifted over to the new interface and is a bit unhandy.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Nope..... not at all.
As a matter of fact when I read your comment on that thread I tried to walk through it and if you have Microsoft Word installed, you (or at least "I") can't do it.

Reaction score
Now that is curious. I have Office 2016, but my wife is still using 2010. We both, for speed, use Wordpad and with RTF as the default.

I have just tried it, forward and backward. Works 100%

Capture2.PNG

Capture3.PNG

My default method, whenever I have a fresh install, is to open Wordpad and scribble something, then save it as .RTF. From then, it is the default.

Reaction score
Hmm. Try my last suggestion. I have no explanation for this.

Not a lot of help, perhaps, but I see my start menu item takes me to
C:\Program Files\Windows NT\Accessories,,,,,<Wordpad.exe

Later. OK, I googled a little. This might help. I have, as I said, never had to alter anything, but...

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/wordpad-windows-10

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Much ado about nothing.
I seldom if ever, intentionally use Wordpad.
Word is perfectly fine for anything I do when it comes to word processing, which admittedly is very little these days.
My intention was to just point out that things are not the same as before (as in before Tuesday).
AND
What might have previously been a relatively simple task involving a click or two here or there, might now entail a different approach involving additional action, sort of like the old expression "You can't get there from here"

Reaction score
I have Office 2010 and seldom use WordPad. I just opened a WordPad document, clicked on save as and the default is .rtf, There's also a list of save as options to choose from. They are:
Rich text document.
Open Office XML document.
Open document text.
Plain text document.
Other formats.
My Word default is .dox

upload_2017-10-19_16-30-4.png

Ooops!

Reaction score
HI chaps,

I too can open Wordpad and save as I wish, I very seldom use it anyway so I really don't care much myself!. :D

Ask a Question