Audio enhancement problem--Win 10 are you sure?

Reaction score
After opening Wind 10 (b4 it was win 7) I had no sound so I went to the sound properties and easily took care of the problem (windows now as before assumes the HDMI is the choice for my pc but it isn't since no sound comes out of that.
Anyhow, later going to other enhancements (color etc.) I clicked on 'sound'. And the following window popped up:
Audio Enhancement Problem,
Windows has detected that audio enhancements for the following device are causing problems:
Speakers (VIA HD Audio)
Would you like to disable driver enhancements for this device?"

My problem here is that this IS the only device that works (out of the 4 I can see) so what enhancements is it referring to? And if I agree to disable them, would I be disabling ONLY the enhancements or other things as well? I tend to follow the ''if it ain't broken" rule but if saying no, can it cause problems in the future?
(one reason for concern is that I am leaving the country in about 24 hours, and leaving this PC to my very old mom) so I other fix it now, if needed or never. Thank you

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Probably not something to be overly concerned about.
Typically, various sound cards (integrated or add-ins) have some, so called "enhancement" features, functions and or capabilities.
If you right click the speaker icon down by the clock and choose "playback devices" then select your speakers (default likely) and click the properties button you might see something like this
AudioEnhancements.JPG

Yours may be slightly different or may not exist at all and may require you to use the Control Panel add-on that may have been produced by installing your sound drivers.
In any event you should be safe in disabling them.

Reaction score
Thanks a lot buddy. I went there (in my case there was actually an 'enhancements" tab) and strangely enough what I saw was the 'Disable enhancements' box which was checked. I unchecked it and all is OK

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thanks Michael, glad to hear you managed to get it sorted.
Thanks for posting back and updating us with that information.

Reaction score
Unfortunately, trigger happy premature response on reboot same problem. Since I'm leaving I'll have to fix this problem--if it becomes problematic, by phone or something. thanks again

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem but want to use speaker fill with my 5.1 speakers. is there another way around this other than just disabling the enhancements?

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem but want to use speaker fill with my 5.1 speakers. is there another way around this other than just disabling the enhancements?
Go into your audio device properties then click properties in the general tab, then in the general tab of that window click on [Change settings], then in that window, go to drivers and uninstall the driver, replug your audio device and it should reset the driver enhancement error, so you can use those default windows driver enhancements. I believe the problem comes when windows detects multiple or new audio output devices and the enhancement running on that driver are incompatible, so uninstalling and reinstalling the driver should assign those enhancement to just that device, if this doesn't work, try disabling all other audio devices that are enabled and retry the steps above. this worked for me twice.

I have Turtle Beach Stealth 450s, great headset, with great sound drivers. but the turtle beach specialized driver enhancements wash out the heavy base and make them a bit muddy. The default audio enhancements like virtual surround and Bass Boost work extremely well and keep the crisp ranges the headphones come with as default without the third party DTS driver.

Ask a Question