Battery not charging, still, again, always

Reaction score
Why does Windows 10 not have a way to cure the never-ending problem of the battery not charging? I began to suspect my battery was going bad the last go-round, but after repeating the same old procedure again to get it going, I was AMAZED at how fast it charged right up to 100%! You know the routine; to go Device Manager, remove/uninstall everything under Batteries, re-scan for changes which is useless, shut down, remove the battery, press the power button for several seconds, re-insert the battery, restart, and BINGO! The battery charges just fine. Oh yeah- I forgot to include 'search for updated driver'.
BUT, as so many commercials say- BUT WAIT (and you get a second whatever totally FREE. Yup. Of course). Yes, but just wait! In a couple days, the charging stops and the slow process of the battery discharging all the way down to no charge at all, starts all over again. Again! And again! And AGAIN! It's a never ending routine.
I've had every version of Windows except maybe one way back at the beginning and NEVER had a battery charging issue like this! NEVER! This laptop started as a Windows 7 Pro version and has had every version on it since, right on up through this latest one- 2004.
Is it even a remote possibility that somewhere down the line we'll get a version that will actually work right and keep the battery charged without having to go through the same routine everytime the battery needs charging? The way it is, the laptop can't be trusted to work for very long without lugging the power pack along to, "just in case".
This is crazy! If I could only hook it up to my car's alternator system...

Reaction score

Hi Ron,

try upgrading to version 2009!.

Please be aware that this page is directed toward the UK English version !. :)

Reaction score
Well, after the long haul of this latest update, ver. 20H2 (that's the latest??), as I figured, the battery situation is exactly as it what was before the update. Getting this solved is as bad as the latest deal with Comcast and not being able to send email. Even though no tech knew what the reason was, it did start working after 3 days. But the battery deal? It looks like it's a forever snafu at this point. Windows 10 certainly did a number on it.

Reaction score
Hi Ron,

exactly how old is the battery?, it might simply have reached the end of its shelf life?. :)

Reaction score
It's probably 2 years old. Usually when a battery is going bad, it won't charge to 100% and takes forever to charge, but when I go through all the hopes to get it to charge, even after it is totally discharged, it is amazing how fast it charges! All the way to 100%! Thanks for the reply. It's so good to get replies when you post something. :)

Reaction score
I have a suggestion, take the battery out (and the power cable) and clean the contacts with a small brush, not a wire brush!. something like an old toothbrush might do. Clean contacts on both the battery and the contacts inside the laptop!. :cool:

Reaction score
That's a good suggestion. I have a ministerium meeting this AM and a get-together time w/ my WW II Navy Vet buddy at Burger King. Sorry, McD. If you open back up, we'll come back. :) When I get back home I'll do that. At some point I want to put in a new power port. It doesn't have a reliable connection. It feels snug enough, but when I remove the power cable it takes some juggling to reestablish contact again. That's not the root problem of the battery charging, though. I keep a very close watch on it to make sure the power stays on. Once the contact is established, there's no problem after that.
Thanks.

Ask a Question