SOLVED Block HP updatesc

Reaction score
My HP Printer software is loaded on my home/office PC and works good there. However, my laptop continues to get this message from Win10 updates, "Hewlett-Packard - Enterprise WSD Multi-Function Printer, Multi-Function Printer, Other hardware - Null Print - HP ENVY 7640 series - Error 0x800f020b"

To my knowledge, there is no printer software installed on my laptop. However, the printer in question is listed as one of my Win10 laptop devices for those rare instances I choose to send something wireless to the printer.

Is there a way to block these update attempts for my laptop?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Well..... on the bright side... you're not alone. Checking around there doesn't seem to be a definitive long term solution. Only some hope that between Microsoft and HP they'll sort it out. In the mean time the work around seems to be to employ the "wushowhide.diagcab utility to block it. Some folks have reported that it has helped.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

I've had my own share of problems with WSD "Web Services for Devices" port monitor back in the day, with an HP wireless printer and it only printing a partial page or half a print job.
Switching my network printers to static IP addresses and configuring TCP/IP ports on the computers to point to that IP address resolved that problem.

Reaction score
Double check settings "How I receive updates" if the metered connection for updates "metered" is turned ON.

Reaction score
I have had these spurious updates on one of my Insider PCs for 18 months. I have tried Wushowhide which turns them off for a while but they kept coming back. I found that completely removing the printer ( HP 7520) and ALL HP software and then installing the HP AIO app from the store helped. The HP app searches for HP printers and finds it by the Netbios(?) name. It complains that one should load HP's software for full use of the printer but as far as I can see that step is not necessary as all the normal stuff works just fine through the app.

Reaction score
Okay everybody, and [again] thanks for your feedback and your suggestions. I'll just mark this down as something to be addressed at a later date.

Reaction score
Spurious and unnecessary updates! The last update was to resolve security issues that MS identified in March 2015.
Below is a summary of my monthly bandwidth data.Typically, pre-Windows 10 I would use on average 10-15 GB of data/month. I'm afraid that those days are long gone with unnecessary security updates that should have been resolved before the anniversary update. The service providers must be seeing a huge increase in revenue. In Canada, we pay some of, if not the highest internet user fees.

Attachments

• Internet Usage.PNG
    Internet Usage.PNG
    17.8 KB · Views: 544
Reaction score
Norton I presume you are on a seriously limited bandwidth allocation. Probably because you live somewhere outside a major town. Funnily enough my internet speed just went up and my Gb allocation went to unlimited ( Which I don't believe for a moment) at a lower price for 2 years at least. Rogers competing with Bell and Telus I guess.

Reaction score
Tim I'm with Bell, I have Fibe 10 network. The 250 GB was my choice many years ago. I could upgrade, but the point I'm trying to make is why should I. It's MS crazy way of delivering updates that should have been resolved before the anniversary update was released. Many of these cumulative updates we already had downloaded and were deleted with Windows.old

Ask a Question