build 10158 is now on Fast ring.

Reaction score
Just now spotted that in the Winbeta web page. Hasn't shown up yet in my Windows update.

Reaction score
Just now spotted that in the Winbeta web page. Hasn't shown up yet in my Windows update.

You have a problem.
I posted the "news" and went to Windows Update.
I just finished installing and am now running 10158.
Took about 2 1/2 hours.

Reaction score
Checked my second computer and the update was there. Took about 26 minutes from start of download till I posting this reply. I'm signed in with a Microsoft account on this machine that updated and sign in with a local account on the machine with no update. Wonder if that makes a difference.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Wonder if that makes a difference.
It may. There was some information regarding "going forward, you would need to associate the install with a Microsoft Account"
Did you check and make sure that you are on the fast ring on the problem computer?

Reaction score
Update here went flawlessly with no apparent issues that I've found. Edge browser looks more finished now and you can select a dark theme which I think looks better. All of my newsgroups and email accounts remained intact as did my Firefox settings and bookmarks. I'll move back to my other machine to see if I can get it going now. So far I'm impressed with the new build since it appears to have not mucked up any of my files. Clicked the Solitaire icon in my taskbar and it opened up the store. Wonder what happened to Solitaire.

Edit: This sucks. I changed my log on to my Microsoft account, sign in with my account password and still no update. Still showing fast lane selected. Logged off on my other machine in case being signed in with same account on two machines would create a problem but still no update. I really need the update on this machine since it has so many issues that need fixing. No idea now how to get the update going.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I am treading on shaky ground..........
Suggestion only:
Build 10130 ISO is still available.
Download it > burn to a bootable media and do a Clean Install. This time use your MS Account.

Reaction score
You may be right David. Kind of hate to do it because I'll have to reinstall everything but there may be no alternative.

Reaction score
I am, once again, and, particularly in view of the news regarding the upgrade requirements, why I even bother to be on the insider program. It seems that the news comes primarily through blogs or Aul's twitter announcements.

Reaction score
Sure wasn't expecting this. I've formatted the drive 4 times now and reinstalled build 10130. Was getting errors and blue screens and finally it seems to be working OK except the new build 10158 still does not show in updates. On initial install setup I can't use my Microsoft account sign in as it is an email address plus password. The name selection won't accept any special characters such as an @ so I have no choice but to use my name and a password. After setup I promptly go to accounts and switch it to my Microsoft account which then becomes my name and password. Still no new build in updates. Everything went smooth as could be on my other computer and it is operating with no apparent issues. I'm sort of suspecting that the SSD I'm using for the OS might be causing an issue but no way to be sure. I'll probably have to overnight one from Newegg as our local Staples store quit carrying a lot of component stuff other than external backup boxes, some routers, keyboards and mice. I'll check today but don't expect to find anything.

Reaction score
2 desktops upgraded and a night and day difference from 10130. The one that was giving lots of trouble is like a new machine altogether. The other one just runs smoother, although at first it wouldn't let me change the desktop pic or color etc. a simple reboot fixed it.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I'm sort of suspecting that the SSD I'm using for the OS might be causing an issue but no way to be sure.
Have you double checked with the SSD Manufacturer and confirmed that you are using the latest firmware for that drive?
Not sure why it wouldn't be showing 10158's availability. Usually all it takes is setting to "FAST" ring and a Microsoft Account associated with the installation. Although sometimes it does take a while after you've changed from "SLOW" to "FAST" ring before it takes effect.

Reaction score
At the moment everything is installed and operational although I have gotten a few random errors and restarts such as "critical process died" that were occurring with the previous installation also. No idea at all what is causing them since they are random and not appearing to be related to what I am doing at the moment. When the preview is installed it defaults to the slow ring and I seem to recall seeing somewhere that changing to the fast ring may take a day or so to be recognized. I guess I'll just wait for awhile to see if the update shows up. Don't know why Microsoft doesn't post a .iso when they release the update.

Ask a Question