Build 14905 Power Icon Button Fails to Launch Shutdown Menu

Reaction score
Clicking on the Power Icon button should launch a menu with options to shutdown, reboot, etc. All it does is close out the Windows start menu and the only way I can shutdown is to press the power button. The settings Icon button works as does the File Explorer Icon button. Any ideas?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Yep..... that would be one of the "known" issues with the latest Preview Build as mentioned in the blog
Right click, works fine for now as an alternative.

When clicking on the power button on the Start menu, it closes the Start menu without opening the flyout with restart/shutdown options appearing. As a workaround – you can right-click on the Start button (or WIN + X) and choose to shutdown via this menu instead.
Read more at https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...uild-14905-for-pc-mobile/#FPXIVwAZKZULjRHG.99
SOURCE: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...10-insider-preview-build-14905-for-pc-mobile/

Reaction score
Clicking on the Power Icon button should launch a menu with options to shutdown, reboot, etc. All it does is close out the Windows start menu and the only way I can shutdown is to press the power button. The settings Icon button works as does the File Explorer Icon button. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Whoops ... apparently, this is a known "bug" in 14905. How they allowed this one out, I don't know.

At least there is a "work-around". Simultaneously pressing the Windows button and the X button or right clicking on the Start button will bring up a large menu including shutdown options. I can live with this, and I realize that Insider builds can be and usually are a bit buggy ... but this bug should have been fixed prior to release.

Reaction score
No new build Today so we are stuck with thia POS till probably Tuesday

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Personally, I don't even understand why they put it out there at all.
Seems like they just wanted to be able to say that they did and that it was faster than they had done anything similar in past history.
There is nothing in it of any real value that I can point to, AND.......
It's kinda crappy with all the stuff that doesn't work quite right, beginning with the power button.
Why would you put something out there, with something as fundamentally flawed as that and just leave it. IDK...... seems clueless.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Not sure.... haven't bother to try it.
Did you try Stop receiving Insider Builds and then use the Recovery Go Back to option in Settings / Update & Security?
Since it is an entirely new build rs2, and installs like one, I would assume that it would be downgradeable with the Windows.OLD folder if present.

Reaction score
Not sure.... haven't bother to try it.
Did you try Stop receiving Insider Builds and then use the Recovery Go Back to option in Settings / Update & Security?
Since it is an entirely new build rs2, and installs like one, I would assume that it would be downgradeable with the Windows.OLD folder if present.

I do not have it so I guess I am stuck with it. I will just have to wait or get another SSD to full around with. Thanks Trouble.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Is there a way to get back to 14393 and not lose everything . @Trouble
IN reference to this particular question.
Was reading some info today, where some have reported that if they mount the 14393 ISO and perform and in-place upgrade repair, they've managed to return their system to the release build of Redstone.
Might be worth a try.
I'd definitely do a disk image first though.

EDIT: Neosmart has a pretty good article on it here https://neosmart.net/wiki/windows-10-repair-installation/
You can skip the first couple paragraphs where they are promoting their recovery CDs and drill down to the meat of the article below.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Shucks.
I'm pretty sure that it works across the board on all builds, but.....
Probably not trying to do an in-place upgrade of Threshold 2 with a Threshold 1 ISO, since that would technically be a downgrade and not an upgrade and the process probably sees it as such, and......
I should have known that. IT was just something that I read today and I suspected it might be BS but I figured it might be worth a try.

Reaction score
This problem started afflicting several of my computers with the 1703 updated and has not been resolved yet. Has anyone found a solution?

Reaction score
Have you tried Upgrading your Version 1703 to the current Version 1709? As I recall Build 14905 was part of Insider Preview back in July or Aug. 2016, reference the dates of the previous posts.

Reaction score
Did you upgrade from the Insider preview to the 1709?? if so you might have inherited all the bugs that came with the Insider preview

Reaction score
Nope. I have never used an insider preview. I have about 15 computers with the same symptoms. Different customers, different computers. All were the free upgrade from Windows 7 Professional. They were all 1511 and things were fine threw 1600. Then came 1703 and this problem (among others) occurred. 1709 did not fix the issue. Along with the power button opening and closing so quick so does Action Center and Wireless Networks. Very, very annoying. I have been looking for a fix since 1703 came out. Even Googling the problem gets very few hits. This site being one of them even though it is 2 years old.

Ask a Question