Build 16281

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Anyone having an issue with their Realtek NIC with this build??
It wants to install a funny driver and call my NIC Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller "Flight" without the quotes
You can go here and download the correct driver\
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads...d=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false
Which should give you this
Capture.PNG

BUT... it keeps wanting to install this rteth.sys
I even went so far as to go into the C:\Windows\System32\Drivers folder and took ownership of the file and granted myself full control and deleted it. No help.
In the end I used wushowhide.diagcab
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...t-a-driver-update-from-reinstalling-in-window

To get myself what I hope is a month reprieve to see if Microsoft can sort it out.
In the mean time I reported it on the Feedback Hub
https://aka.ms/Ekgfl7

IF you are having similar issues you can upvote and add your comment there.

Reaction score
My Insider laptop uses a different Realtek Ethernet device. Still the same driver dated 2015. My main machine, still on 1703 is using a driver 10.16.323.2017 dated 23 Mar 17.

I downloaded the new driver and of course it works fine.

Last edited:
Reaction score
After 4 hours it finally finished installing, not sure if this due my old hardware or not but it always takes that long.

no changes in my Realtek network controller (still driver date of 2015)

Reaction score
I started the download at 7:55 last night and the install finished at 8:57. I was very surprised. Machine was 'n' wifi to my router and then I am on a 100Mb/s 'net connection. SO I think this update was quite a lot smaller than some of the previous ones this summer.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
My Insider laptop uses a different Realtek Ethernet device
Thanks Tim.
According to Realtek, the driver that I am using applies to some 17 possible Realtek network adapters
Code:
RTL8111B/RTL8168B/RTL8111/RTL8168/RTL8111C/RTL8111CP/RTL8111D(L)/RTL8168C/RTL8111DP/RTL8111E/RTL8168E/RTL8111F/RTL8411/RTL8111G/RTL8111GUS/RTL8411B(N)/RTL8118AS
Mine specifically is the first one (RTL8111B)
Not sure whether that has any particular significance or not.

I have a second physical machine running the Skip Ahead build (16353) which also has a Realtek NIC and I had the same identical issue with that machine as well.
I don't expect that there is actually much difference between 16281 and 16353, so I'm not surprised that the experience is the same.

I am a bit surprised that I can't seem to find much information about others with a similar issue.
Maybe everyone is so experienced with solving driver issues with Windows 10, that they just fix them and move on, without even commenting.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
This is an Insider Build and your machine would necessarily need to be on the Fast Ring of the Insider Program in order to install this build and then you would do so using the Windows Update feature in Settings -> Update & Security -> Check for updates button.

Reaction score
Anyone having an issue with their Realtek NIC with this build??
It wants to install a funny driver and call my NIC Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller "Flight" without the quotes
You can go here and download the correct driver\
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads...d=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false
Which should give you this
View attachment 7056
BUT... it keeps wanting to install this rteth.sys
I even went so far as to go into the C:\Windows\System32\Drivers folder and took ownership of the file and granted myself full control and deleted it. No help.
In the end I used wushowhide.diagcab
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...t-a-driver-update-from-reinstalling-in-window

To get myself what I hope is a month reprieve to see if Microsoft can sort it out.
In the mean time I reported it on the Feedback Hub
https://aka.ms/Ekgfl7

IF you are having similar issues you can upvote and add your comment there.
This was a driver update not related to the insider update (i'm in the slow ring, and the update wasn't related to a version update). I had to go to realtek's website and download the driver from there to get my onboard NIC to work again(wouldn't let me rollback the driver).

I used the "Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller Win10 Auto Installation Program LAN Driver 10019_06302017 for Windows 10"

http://realtek-download.com/realtek-pcie-gbe-family-controller/

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
This was a driver update not related to the insider update (i'm in the slow ring, and the update wasn't related to a version update).
good to know and thanks for the info
I had to go to realtek's website
Be aware that the link you posted is not Realtek's actual site but a third party site "realtek-download.com" rather than "realtek.com"
IF you have found it reliable in the past and the driver worked for you, then all is well.
I just prefer going to the actual source, even if it is in Taiwan.

Reaction score
There is a Russian website that has the ISO file for the build 16281, can I download and install it?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Reaction score
good to know and thanks for the info

Be aware that the link you posted is not Realtek's actual site but a third party site "realtek-download.com" rather than "realtek.com"
IF you have found it reliable in the past and the driver worked for you, then all is well.
I just prefer going to the actual source, even if it is in Taiwan.
Thanks. I usually don't get suckered like that. They did come up clean, and worked, but I wouldn't trust them

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
do I need to activate this Windows?
Yes, you will.
IF you have registered and participate in the program and are currently running an activated copy of Windows 10, you just need to go to settings -> update and security -> Windows Insider Program (left column) and configure your choices.

Capture4.PNG

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I'm not sure that we are understanding each other.
The insider version that you install, is installed as an "Upgrade" to the current Windows 10 installation, which is already activated.
So yes it is permanent and you can "Stop" participating anytime you wish.
The next official release "Windows 10 Fall Cumulative Update" is scheduled for October 17 and at that time you can continue or stop receiving insider builds and you'll be on the latest public release.

Ask a Question