SOLVED Cannot acces internet via wifi.

Reaction score
Hello!, I am french so maybe some terms wont be the 'right technical term'. I installed Windows 10 yesterday on 2 lap tops. Everything was fine, i could access the web. I installed it on a third one this morning. It was seeing the network but said it could not access it. I changed the password in the rooter thinking that it would ask me for the new password has Windows 7 does. But it did not. Now I also have the same problem on the 3 lap tops. I cannot find the place to put in my password like I did on Windows 7. If I try to access 'manually' it does not recognize either. I know it is not my rooter because I was able to access the new password with an old lap top still on Windows 7 and also with my cell. So password and rooter work fine.

Any suggestions. Thank you very much. If there is a good forum in french, will you let me know?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Can you right click the SSID and choose "forget" or "properties" and edit the security tab settings?
You might have a look in Control Panel -> Credential Manager and see if you see anything there that references your router connection or SSID and see if you can edit.

Reaction score
Can you right click the SSID and choose "forget" or "properties" and edit the security tab settings?
You might have a look in Control Panel -> Credential Manager and see if you see anything there that references your router connection or SSID and see if you can edit.
I looked for something like that without any success. My sons's IPhone has something like that 'forget this network' and that is how is was able to put the new password of the same network. Vista and my windows phone, both recognized that there was a new password and offered me a box the enter the new rooter password. But windows 10, ;-(

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thanks BigFeet. I knew there had to be a way to get it done, I just don't have anything handy with a wifi adapter on a Windows 10 machine to research, except my wife's desktop upstairs and it would probably be easier to get an audience with the Pope.

Reaction score
I just had this issue and spent a day trying to find the solution. What worked for me was very simple. Go to Control Panel - Network Connections - Wi-Fi - Right click on properties - click on Configure - click on the Advanced tab - select the 'Bandwidth' and change it to the 'Auto' setting. For me it says (20MHz/40MHz Auto).
I tried all the other ideas i could find online first and this worked immediately after i made this change.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thanks sageman800 and welcome to the forum.
Appreciate you sharing your solution with us. I'm going to have to bite the bullet and by a wireless USB dongle for this machine, so I can experiment more on the wireless side of internet problems.

Reaction score
Thanks BigFeet. I knew there had to be a way to get it done, I just don't have anything handy with a wifi adapter on a Windows 10 machine to research, except my wife's desktop upstairs and it would probably be easier to get an audience with the Pope.
:D

Reaction score
Thank you Bigfeet. Works fine. You made my day. I have been there I don't know how may times but...

My son's laptop also has an issue. Cannot 'connect' the wifi button. PARAMETERS - NETWORK INTERNET - WIFI and the button is 'grey'. If I want to ACTIVATE, it wont move. I thing I should post a new post for this. Thank you Bigfeet, Trouble, Sageman800 Happy new year to you!

Reaction score
I found this video useful for fixing the wifi issue at my dell inspiron lappy running windows 10.

Ask a Question