SOLVED Cannot download folder

Reaction score
I have a Dropbox account and am trying to download a folder from that to my computer. However, I keep getting an error saying disk full or interrupted: disk full.

This was not happening a few days ago or last week and I would like to know why this is happening.

Reaction score
I've not had success either in downloading a Folder containing any number of files. It nearly always works better if such a Folder has been compressed into a single .zip file before uploading then download that file and decompress it later [as long as the size doesn't exceed the limits of the site].

Regedit32

Reaction score
This was not happening a few days ago or last week and I would like to know why this is happening.

When you move or copy a file or files to the OneDrive you end up with two copies of the file/files.
  • One copy is stored in the Cloud
  • The other copy is saved on your computer: C:\Users\<your username>\OneDrive\<the folder name you put file/files into>

Depending on your Disk's partitions and size of available space, this may be why you are seeing a message warning of insufficient space, especially if you copied then file/files to OneDrive.

You can avoid wasting space by moving a file or files to OneDrive, which prevents it being duplicated on your computer, as if you copy a file or files to OneDrive, you end up with the original file in the location you copied it from, plus an additional copy at the above mentioned path; which this takes up twice the space.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
When you move or copy a file or files to the OneDrive you end up with two copies of the file/files.
  • The other copy is saved on your computer: C:\Users\<your username>\OneDrive\<the folder name you put file/files into>

Depending on your Disk's partitions and size of available space, this may be why you are seeing a message warning of insufficient space, especially if you copied then file/files to OneDrive.

You can avoid wasting space by moving a file or files to OneDrive, which prevents it being duplicated on your computer, as if you copy a file or files to OneDrive, you end up with the original file in the location you copied it from, plus an additional copy at the above mentioned path; which this takes up twice the space.

Regards,

Regedit32

Thank you.

Reaction score

Regards,

Regedit32

That's exactly what it is.

Reaction score
Regedit Great advice. However, I'm a tad (not difficult) confused as I'm not familiar with or use One Drive.
In your last paragrapgh: You say "You can avoid wasting space by moving a file or files to OneDrive, which prevents it being duplicated on your computer"
The above statement to me seems to conflict with your opening paragraph.
"When you move or copy a file or files to the OneDrive"

Excuse my ignorance, but, Should the last paragraph not read "You can avoid wasting space by "saving" a file or files to OneDrive, which prevents it being duplicated on your computer.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Excuse my ignorance, but, Should the last paragraph not read "You can avoid wasting space by "saving" a file or files to OneDrive, which prevents it being duplicated on your computer.

Hi Norton,

Apologies for creating confusion with my post.

The issue I was trying to explain is when one is taking a file on their computer and placing it into OneDrive to be stored in the Cloud. I'll summarize what happens using an example - hopefully more clearly:

Case example:
  • Signed-in username: Regedit32
  • Storage: I want to store the files located in Documents on my PC into the Document folder on OneDrive

If I move the files inside the Documents folder on my PC to the Documents folder on OneDrive two things occur:
  1. The moved files are stored in Microsoft's OneDrive Cloud
  2. OneDrive also keeps a local copy on your PC at C:\Users\Regedit32\OneDrive\Documents
As I moved the original files to the OneDrive, there is still only one copy on my PC

If I copied the files instead, then the original files would be in the Documents folder on my PC and a duplicate copy would now also be in the OneDrive path mentioned above, plus a copy would also be in the Cloud. Thus copy/pasting files uses more space on your actual computer, while moving files does not change the amount of space used on your PC.

Hope that is a little clearer now.

Regedit32

Ask a Question