Can't access the Start menu

ClW

Reaction score
This problem is on a desktop computer (HP Pavilion). When I click the start button, the start menu does not display. Pressing the Windows key on the keyboard also does not take me to the start menu.

I can access the right-click menu on the start button and most of the items on the right-click menu respond correctly when clicked (a few don't. No response from "Search" and "Desktop"). I installed Windows 10 over a month ago and have had no problems until now. Everything was working fine yesterday and to the best of my knowledge I have changed no settings since then.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Right click the start button and choose run and in the run dialog box type
ms-settings:windowsupdate
hit enter or click OK
see if there are any pending updates or reboots required.

ClW

Reaction score
I did what you asked. The last dialogue box I saw said "your device is up to date as of 1:46 p.m. which was just a couple of minutes after you sent your instructions. I then shut the computer down and rebooted. I started the computer up again and tried the start button and the windows key on the keyboard. Neither brought up the start menu.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Do you have DropBox installed and running at Startup?
Some folks are reporting that this has caused them some problems with their Start Menu not working. Don't know why, just thought I would pass it along.

ClW

Reaction score
Hmmmmm.
Try booting into Safe Mode.
Just hold the shift key when clicking restart.
https://www.windows10forums.com/articles/safe-mode.3/
See if you have a functioning Start Menu in Safe Mode

I booted in Safe Mode and both the start button and the Windows key on my keyboard opened the Start menu. So then I shut down and rebooted in normal mode and the screen button and the keyboard key still both worked. Don't know what happened in safe mode to cure the problem, but thanks for your help. Much better than what I got from Microsoft chat support which was 2 hours wasted in labored communication with some moron and 2 snotty emails espousing the merits of self-help.

Reaction score
This problem is on a desktop computer (HP Pavilion). When I click the start button, the start menu does not display. Pressing the Windows key on the keyboard also does not take me to the start menu.

I can access the right-click menu on the start button and most of the items on the right-click menu respond correctly when clicked (a few don't. No response from "Search" and "Desktop"). I installed Windows 10 over a month ago and have had no problems until now. Everything was working fine yesterday and to the best of my knowledge I have changed no settings since then.

I was having the exact same problem and then I found this forum. I was afraid to try anything right at first because you just never know who to trust on the internet.

Reaction score
Do you have DropBox installed and running at Startup?
Some folks are reporting that this has caused them some problems with their Start Menu not working. Don't know why, just thought I would pass it along.

I was having the same problem this other person was having. Once I found this forum and I felt I could trust you I saw this message so I uninstalled DropBox. Then I did what you said to do about going to safe mode. I did it and it worked. Just like the other person CIW. I don't know why it worked but everything is fine now. I am so glad I found you Noob Whisperer!! Thank you for being on the up and up!!
Hmmmmm.
Try booting into Safe Mode.
Just hold the shift key when clicking restart.
https://www.windows10forums.com/articles/safe-mode.3/
See if you have a functioning Start Menu in Safe Mode

Reaction score
You are amazing Noob Whisperer!! I am so glad I found you on this forum and found that you are on the up and up. I had been putting up with this problem for weeks and didn't know what to do. I'm old and a lot of this is foreign to me. I can't thank you enough!!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Glad you were able to find something that worked for you.
Thanks for sharing your experience and....
Welcome to the forum.

Ask a Question