SOLVED Can't connect to Group Policy Client service

Reaction score
On 9/12/2015 I was able to log into my non-administrator (user) account. Today, 9/14/2015, I get the message: "Windows couldn't connect to the Group Policy Client service..." How can I fix this so I can log into my user account?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Right click the start button and choose system
From the left column choose System Protection.
Click the System Restore button
Click the Next button
You may need to check the box at the bottom that says, "Show more restore points"
Pick a date / point in time before the problem occurred and see if that helps.

Reaction score
Well, Trouble, this is the second time you've bailed me out. Thanks a lot; your suggestion worked.

Do you have any idea what might have caused the problem? Is this just a mysterious Windows thing that might reappear tomorrow or next year or never?

Thanks again,
Louie

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Do you have any idea what might have caused the problem?
It may have been an update to Windows or it may have been an update to a third party piece of software..... who knows.
Is this just a mysterious Windows thing that might reappear tomorrow or next year or never?
:) That may be just as likely.
You may want to run the native System File Checker just to see if you got anything going on with some problematic system files.
Admin Command Prompt and type
sfc /scannow.

Reaction score
I have exactly the same problem from the same date. It seemed to arise after a Windows update. I have tried the solution but the PC stalls at the "System Protection" request and then gives a time out message. The problems are the same as reported elsewhere - very slow to sign out, cannot load Excel and other similar issues. Any suggestions welcome - I am an experienced user but I don't want to start modifying the registry. Thanks.

Reaction score
I have the same problem as Davidxxx. After it gives Me the "Can't connect to group policy client service" it takes it 5min to log out then I'm back to log on screen BUT I can log on fine as an Administrator.

Reaction score
Same problem here, hoping somebody has a fix. Presumed it was a bad update and that a subsequent update would fix it but not up to now.

Reaction score
I started this thread on 9/14/2015 and since following Trouble's suggestion I have not had the problem again. My PC is constantly being updated for Windows 10 and other software, and I have not changed my use of the PC, but the problem has not reappeared. What a mystery! I did update Windows10 to a newer build a few months ago; still no repeat of the problem. No announcement of a fix from Microsoft, either; maybe it's too embarrassing.

Reaction score
It was the restore. I followed Trouble's suggestion: clicked on the restore point with a date before the problem started and restored that version. No problems since.

Reaction score
Here u go. Follow this video tutorial and it should work. Worked for me the first time and after a reboot didnt have the prob anymore...Its specific for Windows 7 BUT should work for all Windows.

Reaction score
I have had this problem before. Fixed it last 3 times using the restore point. Happened again today Feb 23, 2016. Is there a permanent fir for this problem. Also tried the regedit suggestion. But that is a whole other problem because it will not start at all!!!!

Reaction score
Right click the start button and choose system
From the left column choose System Protection.
Click the System Restore button
Click the Next button
You may need to check the box at the bottom that says, "Show more restore points"
Pick a date / point in time before the problem occurred and see if that helps.
My problem started on Monday the 22nd. On Wednesday I followed the instructions to do the system restore and it worked fine. Today the same issue appeared. I went to do the system restore and a I do not have any restore points. What else can I do ? thank you

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
IF....
You suspect a recent update causing the issue and you do not have any restore points to fall back on as a remedy....
I think you only option might be to explicitly uninstall that update.
Start Button -> Settings -> Update & security -> Advanced options -> View your update history -> Uninstall updates and.....
Select it from the list.
Since it will likely reocurr the next time Windows Updates you might try using something like this https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930
To temporarily defer but again it is only a temporary fix.
You might be better off reporting the problem using the Feedback App and or starting your own thread in the forum, detailing exactly what you are experiencing as a result of the update and its' impact on your system.

Reaction score
I fixed this problem several times using the regedit method. It would work for days, and then come back again with the Group Policy Client error, taking forever to sign off, slow loading of explorer. (Also Windows Settings Update and Security freezes up too, so no going back to prior state.) Last week I did a complete reinstall of Windows 10 along with hours and hours of reloading all my supporting software. My PC ran like a rocket for a week. Today the problem is back. Totally exasperated and very disappointed with Windows 10

Last edited:
Reaction score
Here is the result of my research into this problem as I solved it by reading people's comments on this and other forums.

I updated all 3 of our family laptops to windows 10 and within a few weeks they had all developed this problem. I was therefore in a position to compare what software was on each laptop and try various things.

Symptoms: The Group policy client message was not the only symptom. After this message showed, it was impossible to access the "Update and security" part of the "settings" menu. Also, the policy client message only occurred on startup following a shutdown which was halted by a message saying that a "taskhost" windows was still running an "automatic app update". This was the same on all 3 laptops.

So this error seems linked to the update process not the content of the update itself. The first thing you need to do is get your pc temporarily working properly again. I tried various things but a you-tube video led be to this process which worked every time:
- open a command prompt window as an administrator (right click on the app in the start menu)
- type "netsh" and press enter
- type "winsock reset" and press enter
- restart your computer

At least for me this got rid of the message and made the update menu start working again. I've no idea what this resets but it works and appears to do no harm. HOWEVER, this is only a temporary fix and your issue will come back in a few days!

I read somewhere else that this problem is caused by apps that are installed with "admin" rights trying to update themselves. Chrome is mentioned in particular. I uninstalled chrome and tried to stop other apps from auto-updating. I also suspected MS Office 2007 as this was one of the few apps on all 3 laptops. So I stopped "update" from updating "other window products" under advanced options. I noticed under update history that an update for MS Office 2007 kept failing, so I manually installed that update.

Some of this seemed to make the problem take longer to come back, but it always did at different times on all 3 laptops. I suspect that I didn't manage to stop all apps doing this.

Then a post about the "taskhost" process stopping shutdown led my to the solution. Windows 10 has a special "fast startup option". Basically this seems to make your PC take longer to shutdown but makes the startup a bit quicker. Turn this off! That's it! You find it by:
- Start
- Settings
- System
- Power and sleep
- additional power settings
- click on "choose what the power buttons do"
- scroll down to Shutdown settings
- uncheck the box next to "turn on fast startup"
- click save changes

This worked for all 3 PCs.

My view is that this problem happens when certain apps are trying to update themselves when you turn off your pc. Something conflicts with how the windows "fast startup" process shuts down your pc. This corrupts something about the user accounts and windows update program. But this only happens for certain hardware/software combinations so only a few people get this error.

Hope this helps other frustrated users out there!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello windowsmith and welcome to the forum.
Thank you very much for your research and sharing your solution with us.
Very much apprciated.

Reaction score
Here is the result of my research into this problem as I solved it by reading people's comments on this and other forums.

I updated all 3 of our family laptops to windows 10 and within a few weeks they had all developed this problem. I was therefore in a position to compare what software was on each laptop and try various things.

Symptoms: The Group policy client message was not the only symptom. After this message showed, it was impossible to access the "Update and security" part of the "settings" menu. Also, the policy client message only occurred on startup following a shutdown which was halted by a message saying that a "taskhost" windows was still running an "automatic app update". This was the same on all 3 laptops.

So this error seems linked to the update process not the content of the update itself. The first thing you need to do is get your pc temporarily working properly again. I tried various things but a you-tube video led be to this process which worked every time:
- open a command prompt window as an administrator (right click on the app in the start menu)
- restart your computer

At least for me this got rid of the message and made the update menu start working again. I've no idea what this resets but it works and appears to do no harm. HOWEVER, this is only a temporary fix and your issue will come back in a few days!

I read somewhere else that this problem is caused by apps that are installed with "admin" rights trying to update themselves. Chrome is mentioned in particular. I uninstalled chrome and tried to stop other apps from auto-updating. I also suspected MS Office 2007 as this was one of the few apps on all 3 laptops. So I stopped "update" from updating "other window products" under advanced options. I noticed under update history that an update for MS Office 2007 kept failing, so I manually installed that update.

Some of this seemed to make the problem take longer to come back, but it always did at different times on all 3 laptops. I suspect that I didn't manage to stop all apps doing this.

Then a post about the "taskhost" process stopping shutdown led my to the solution. Windows 10 has a special "fast startup option". Basically this seems to make your PC take longer to shutdown but makes the startup a bit quicker. Turn this off! That's it! You find it by:
- Start
- Settings
- System
- Power and sleep
- additional power settings
- click on "choose what the power buttons do"
- scroll down to Shutdown settings
- uncheck the box next to "turn on fast startup"
- click save changes

This worked for all 3 PCs.

My view is that this problem happens when certain apps are trying to update themselves when you turn off your pc. Something conflicts with how the windows "fast startup" process shuts down your pc. This corrupts something about the user accounts and windows update program. But this only happens for certain hardware/software combinations so only a few people get this error.

Hope this helps other frustrated users out there!

Reaction score
Thank you windowsmith! So far so good!

For the less computer savy (that would be me) I offer a couple of "for dummies" edits to your instructions:

-Right click on the start menu button
-Click on command promt (admin
)
- restart your computer

When you get to the "- uncheck the box next to "turn on fast startup" Scroll to top of screen, you may need to click “Change Settings that are currently unavailable” to enable the uncheck option.

Again many thanks windowsmith!!!!

Reaction score
You're welcome Mirador86. Thanks for the extra instructions. I forgot about the "change settings that are unavailable" as you don't have to do that the second time you go to the page!

Ask a Question