SOLVED Can't log in into my Windows 10 account

Reaction score
I wanted to remove a virus program, so I restarted my laptop (Asus) in safe mode. When I wanted to log in, I had to give my password instead of the usual pin code I'd set. Unfortunately I forgot my password. I changed my password on my phone, but because my laptop won't connect to internet, I still have to give my old password.
I tried resetting my password with the help of a usb, but it doesn't seem to work.

I hope someone has a solution!

Thanks in advance.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi,

If you can still boot to the normal desktop, you can set your computer to boot into Safe Mode with networking (which will allow you internet access).

To do that:
  • In search box type msconfig | then press Enter key
  • Click the Boot tab
  • Place a checkmark next to Safeboot then, place a dot next to network
  • Click Apply
  • Restart computer

If you've been getting to Safe Mode from a Command menu as computer boots up, there ought to be an option there to Choose Safe Mode with Networking also. This is the one you need if you require internet access.

By the way, when you say you want to remove a virus program, did you mean an Antivirus application (for example, Norton, McAfee, Bitdefender, etcetera.,) or were you meaning your computer is infected with a virus?

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi!
I was trying to remove the program tencent, which I have no idea how it got on my laptop. I was following a tutorial video and it said to restart in safe mode.

Thank you so much for the help! I've now been able to boot with safe mode with networking but it still won't accept my password.

Reaction score
I wanted to remove a virus program, so I restarted my laptop (Asus) in safe mode. When I wanted to log in, I had to give my password instead of the usual pin code I'd set. Unfortunately I forgot my password. I changed my password on my phone, but because my laptop won't connect to internet, I still have to give my old password.
I tried resetting my password with the help of a usb, but it doesn't seem to work.

I hope someone has a solution!

Thanks in advance.

Is it a Microsoft account? From Windows 10 login screen, click on the Network icon and you can configure your laptop to connect to WIFI. Once connected to Internet, try to login with your new password.

Reaction score
Is it a Microsoft account? From Windows 10 login screen, click on the Network icon and you can configure your laptop to connect to WIFI. Once connected to Internet, try to login with your new password.

It says I'm connected but it's still a white x at the bottom. I've tried numerous times to log in, with seemingly connected to the internet.

Reaction score
If you have a Windows 10 install disc, boot off the disc and follow this tutorial to create a new admin account. After logging into Windows, you can then troubleshoot the network connection issue for your Microsoft account.

Reaction score
If you have a Windows 10 ISO file (or download it from Microsoft's webpage), you can create a install USB media using the freeware Rufus. The USB installation drive will work the same as a disc.

Reaction score
If you have a Windows 10 ISO file (or download it from Microsoft's webpage), you can create a install USB media using the freeware Rufus. The USB installation drive will work the same as a disc.

Okay. I'll try that this weekend when I have access to a windows pc. Now I only have access to a chromebook and Mac. Thanks for your help!

Reaction score
So I opened command prompt and I typed in the commands but I get this message: "the system cannot find the path specified".

Regedit32

Reaction score
What commands were you typing in?

Did you open an elevated command prompt: C:\WINDOWS\System32>

Or a standard Command Prompt: C:\Users\<Your user name here>

Most commands will need to be done in an elevated command prompt (that in effect is Administrator)

However, some virus can overpower this which means you'd need to approach things differently.

Report back so people know what you were attempting to do, and at which prompt.

Ask a Question