Can't run system file checker

Reaction score
Can not run system file checker in win10 using admin command prompt. Get the following notification:
"Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation."

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
See if it will work if you boot your computer into safe mode.
Hold the shift key while clicking restart. When you arrive at the appropriate screen select #5 safe mode with networking.
IF not....
Enable the hidden administrator's account and see if it will work in that profile.
Admin command prompt type
net user administrator /active:yes
hit enter
type exit
reboot and log on as administrator
IF not....
Try a combination of the two ..... safe mode and hidden administrator account.
Failing all, it might be time for an in-place, upgrade repair installation
There is a pretty good article here https://neosmart.net/wiki/windows-10-repair-installation/ just ignore the first couple paragraphs where they are promoting their repair products and scroll down to the meat of the article.

If you do not have the installation media....
The installation media can be obtain through either of these two resources.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
OR
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Once you have the ISO, you can use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD or Rufus to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive, or simply mount the ISO from within Windows 10 and run setup.exe from there.
Choose upgrade and make sure the box is ticked to obtain updates as part of the upgrade process.

This is a relatively simple and straight forward task and is generally non-destructive (all your data, programs, drivers, etc., should remain intact and unharmed), but.....
Personally I would still have a backup of my critical data, as well as a disk image, so I could recover in the event of some unforeseen problem.

Reaction score
I can't believe the quickness with which you replied to both of my win10 problems. Truly amazes me! In my 70+ years, I have never seen such willingness to help. Thank you so very much.

Will try the SFC workaround as soon as I fix my update problem first. If I need to do the "upgrade repair installation", I will make the backups after the updates are in place.

Reaction score
That message will usually show up if you are not actually using the admin command prompt. The path should show as the Windows\System32 folder if you are in the Admin prompt. It will show your user if you aren't.

Make sure and have the space before the backslash, but I don't know if it is entirely necessary.

Reaction score
An update on the saga. 'Trouble', I tired the SAFE MODE, no luck. Tried the hidden admin and that didn't work. So I proceeded to try the repair with a DVD I made right after the Win10 upgrade. Everything was proceeding along as the link described. After about 35 minutes, it restarted and brought up the "windows is updating". After about 14%it quit and displayed that it was restoring my PC to it's 'original" version. Thought, hmm, that's bad, back to Win8. After several more minutes, it rebooted and up popped Win10 with the message that it had restored the system to the previous Win10 state. And that is exactly what it did. So, back to spare one. Thought about doing a System Restore to the oldest one I had. Opened the System Restore program, and tried to look back to the past restore points. Guess what, windows had erased/removed all prior points. Now the only thing I can do is a System Image replacement to get my old restore points and the try the oldest one of those. As another thought just popped in, I tried the last two restore points before all this and they both failed.

If anyone has any ideas or has done a system repair, please let me know.

Ask a Question