Can't run two monitors after update

Reaction score
Recent Microsoft's updates to Windows 10 have broken seamless support for dual monitors on my ATI Radeon 3100 integrated graphics (Driver Version 8 970 100 9001, Driver Provider: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc, Signed by Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher). Now when I boot, only one screen works. I can work around the problem and make both screens work by initiating a change to my graphics settings and then reverting to the original settings.

I tried to cure this by going back to a restore point before the recent updates and the problem went away until the computer installed the same security updates again. Please advise about any steps I can take to fix this problem and whether future updates by Microsoft are likely to fix it.

Here's some more detail. I was on vacation for a couple of weeks. On September15, the day I returned and turned the computer on, Windows ran a series of updates. And one more update on September 17. (My update history is listed below). I don't recall whether it was before or after the September 17 update, but where Windows would normally have supported two screens, now only Screen 1 appears. I can get the second screen to light up by going to Display Settings, where Extend Screen has been selected, choose any other setting (e.g., Screen 1 only) and then click revert. At that point the second screen springs to life.

At about the same time another new problem appeared. When I tried to bring the computer out of sleep mode, I get a Video TDR failure notice, and the computer reboots.

I am pretty sure that the updates are the problem, as (1) I tried a different monitor and it (mis)behaved the same way and (2) on September 22 I restored the system to the way it was before September 15 and the problem went away. Went away that is, until Windows updated itself again.

I know that Windows 10 is no longer supporting my ATI Radeon 3100 Graphics card with Driver Version 8 970 100 9001, but I had hoped that updates to Windows 10 wouldn't break things that weren't broken. Any possibility that Microsoft will fix this when it makes further refinements?

Note: the Update history below indicates updates to Adobe Flash Player, but I am not running Flash on this computer.

upload_2017-9-25_15-2-51.png

upload_2017-9-25_15-2-52.png

Reaction score
...Note: the Update history below indicates updates to Adobe Flash Player, but I am not running Flash on this computer.
Edge & IE use Adobe Flash Player. If you run Win10, you get the Flash updates.

Ask a Question