Can't save files in Excel

Reaction score
Just upgraded to Windows 10.
I load an Excel file named say "Statistics" from my C:\Users\GoogleDrive\Personal folder,
I edit the file.
I want to save the file with the edits (same name, overwriting existing file).
With Windows 7 I just hit the save button within Excel.
Now with Windows 10 I can't save to the original location.
A message appears " Your changes could not be saved to C:\Users\GoogleDrive\Personal folder\Statistics because of a sharing violation. Try saving to a different file."
This is very inconvenient.
How do I solve this problem.

Go easy in your replies, not too much technical stuff. If I have to change any settings please be ultra clear in the instructions.

Thanks guys and gals.

Reaction score
Thanks Noob W for a very comprehensive set of instructions which even I could understand.
I followed the instructions (changing permissions as indicated to my Google Drive folder, but regrettably they did not solve my problem.

Do you think it may be because I am trying to save to a folder which is a subfolder of the Google Drive folder? This Google Drive folder is constantly syncing the contents to the Cloud.
My main reason for using subfolders within this folder is that I cannot forget to sync my important work to the cloud.
If I take an Excel file from a folder which is located in >This PC>Documents>Test>filename then I can edit it and resave to overwrite the former file (same filename).

It seems to me the problem is with files in Google Drive subfolders which were created in Win7 before my update to Win10.
I think I can prove this :
Using Win10, Open a new worksheet in Excel. Insert some data. Save the file (using Save As) to This PC > Me (user) > Google Drive> General > Win10Test.
Reopen the file, make some changes, then resave (using Save) using same filename. Works ok.
So it seems newly created files can be created, edited and saved ok.

I tried to fudge the system with an old file.
With Win10 open an Excel file in a subfolder in the Google Drive folder (created in Win7). Say the file was >> This PC > Google Drive > General > Workfile.xls
Make some changes, and using Save As, save to same folder with new name WorkfileRev.xls. Close file.
Now reopen WorkfileRev.xls, make a change and try to resave as Workfile.xls
System does not allow this.
So I think the only way is to save the work to WorkfileRev.xls and continue to work with this file in the future. This is not a great problem. I just have to remember to work on the Rev files and not on the originals.
Once I have created a Rev file I thought I would try to delete the earlier version in case I work on the old version by mistake. When I use File Explorer and try to delete the old file I get the error message "Invalid MS-DOS function" and the file cannot be deleted.

Is my thinking along the right lines?

Again many thanks for your reply, I really appreciate it.

Tosh.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Inspect the individual permissions on a specific known problem file as well as ownership to confirm that you performed the steps including "disabling inheritance".
Make sure that you are the "owner" of that specific file and that your user account has "full control" of that specific file.

Reaction score
Hello, not sure how to use this forum but I have just updated and now can't use copy and paste feature by mouse nor by control button since this update when using Google Docs...just worked when using Windows 8 and now regretting. Any one else have this problem or tips?
Thank you for your reply...could really use some help.

Ask a Question