SOLVED Can't set Google Chrome as default browser

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
What version of the Microsoft Office Suite / Outlook, do you have installed?

Reaction score
Not Solved for me. Still can't set default browser.

Recent Win10 upgrade. Go to "Settings", select "System", select "Default apps", select "Web browser", select "+ Choose a default", select "Google Chrome", nothing happens, select "(any other browser)", same (nothing) happens.

Slightly annoyingly, it reset all of my web shortcuts, of any browser type and icon, to Windows Explorer browser and icon shortcuts.

Grr... 18 AUG 2016

P.S. New guy, first post. Now it will let me list my occupatio.
P.P.S. Yes, that is my award-winning (High School Yearbook Baby Picture Contest) portrait / avatar.
P.P.P.S. I'm even cuter, now. (No Blankee, facial hair. Mysteriously of the same color...)

Reaction score
Misteree. Set Chrome as the default in CHROME SETTINGS. Then go to Windows settings and I think it will let you set the default to Chrome in there now. May need a reboot. Now clicking on links in Office go to Chrome, the default browser shows as Chrome. I don't know if Outlook will go to chrome. Cortana will still go to Edge...I bet that is hard coded or deep in the registry.

Reaction score
Yes, Mr. Locke, indeed a mystery. (Oh, C'Mon.. "Mr. Locke" is a lot more fun than "Tim".) Still the same, also included - having to "x" out of "Google Chrome is not your default..." Yeah, yeah, go away. 8>)}

I ran the Win10 registry fixer tool, and it found 1 thing to fix. (Sorry, should have, but didn't save the fix / key #.)

Any other ideas, anyone?

Thomas

Reaction score
Windows 10 rebooted for an update a couple days ago and reset my default browser back to Edge.

I opened Chrome and selected "set as default browser". This took me to the Windows 10 settings, where it disallowed selecting any browser other than Edge. You can click on them, but it won't change.

The advice here to go through Control Panel -> Programs -> Set Default Programs worked to change the default browser to Chrome. I'm happy about that -- but why are there multiple inconsistent places to make settings, and not all work?

I started to wonder if Microsoft was conspiring to prevent people from using Chrome. But I found that once the browser is set to Chrome, Settings still won't change it. It is just a bug.

Reaction score
Hi Folks, I've been struggling with this same problem for a while (weeks) in Windows 10. I found what fixed the problem for me. Recently I purchased a new computer and was setting up my new computer to look like my old one. Both computers are running Windows 10. What I discovered was on my new computer if I was logged in as a User in my "LOCAL ACCOUNT", I couldn't change my DEFAULT APPs. If I logged in to my MICROSOFT ACCOUNT, then I could set my DEFAULT APPs. I have read numerous forums and no one speaks to this. Try checking whether you are logged in under your Local Account, go to Setting, Accounts, and it will have a link to log in to your Microsoft Account if you don't have one then set it up. FYI both Logins will show you logging in as "Administrator" only the Microsoft Account Login let me change my Default APPs. Hope this helps!

Reaction score
My problem is that when I go to Set your default programs, Chrome isn't in the list. When I go into Chrome Settings and set Chrome as the default browser I just get sent to the Settings window where Chrome isn't offered as an option. How do I get Chrome to show up as a browser option? It works fine when I just open it normally.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
How do I get Chrome to show up as a browser option?
Check this registry key
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ChromeHTML\shell\open\command

The "Default" value in the right pane should look like this
Code:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" -- "%1"

IF not then you can double click it and edit it to that value exactly including quotes
That should add it, so you can choose it from the default programs list
Close the registry editor
You may need to reboot.

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
I could not set Chrome as a default web browser in Windows 10 Settings. I clicked the menu, it told me "Edge is the best", I clicked "Switch Anyway" and there was a glitch - Edge stayed selected as a default browser. The solution in my case was to select Edge again, then click the menu once again and select Chrome. Only after all these clicks I got Chrome by default in the Settings app.
P.S. on VBox virtual machines I don't have such stubborn behavior.

Reaction score
Check this registry key
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ChromeHTML\shell\open\command

The "Default" value in the right pane should look like this
Code:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" -- "%1"

IF not then you can double click it and edit it to that value exactly including quotes
That should add it, so you can choose it from the default programs list
Close the registry editor
You may need to reboot.

View attachment 4727

Thanks, but the key is already set, exactly as you say, and Chrome still doesn't show up as a choice of default browser. Any more ideas?

Reaction score
Can't make Google Chrome my default browser with Windows 10. Any ideas how to fix it.

Thanks.
Hi Toni
I was having that problem just recently. It would always default to Edge. Didn't matter what I did but that was fixed in the latest W10 update to build 15063.11

Reaction score
Can't make Google Chrome my default browser with Windows 10. Any ideas how to fix it.

Thanks.
I am having the same issue. I have gone into my settings and tried to "choose a default" using chrome. I actually have tried to set it to anything other than Edge and it won't change settings.

Please help.

Reaction score
Not sure what you may have tried so far?
Does this work?

View attachment 577
I actually followed this instruction and then realized that I changed the default program for a BUTTLOAD of file types that I would rather of not changed the default programs for...

I changed the PDF files back to Adobe, but now I do not know how to get rid of the Chrome Icon that remains.

Reaction score
Thankyou the solution above (the first reply from Trouble) worked for me! I had been trying to use the new menus settings>system>default apps for default programs and it would not change..

Going to default programs in the win7 style control panel and clicking the browser > set default... it changed from having 5 out of 8 permissions to all permissions 8 out of 8 and was immediately shown as the default browser in the new style settings place. Thanks! Its an annoying bug that it wouldnt change from the other place, but fixed for me by going in regular control panel.
Precisely the same here. I had naively assumed that I was being ever so clever by hitting the Windows icon and then typing "default" to jump straight to the place where default settings is supposed to be.

Wrong.

Only Trouble's solution works -- Control Panel > Programs > Set your default programs

Reaction score

Thanks.
I had this same issue, basically stop it running in the background on the taskbar. Then you will be able to set as default browser, then just restart your pc.

Reaction score
I fixed it this way: Control panel>All Control Panel Items>Programs and Features//then uninstall Google Chrome using the uninstall button//close the window//I used Ninite to reinstall Chrome//go back to default apps and when you click on 'browser' Chrome will now be available. Click it and you're done. Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Below is my problem also. when I try to use control panel or ANY other way I can only get to the new win 10 settings page for changing the default.
Why in the hell isn't there a 'browse' button to search for an app. It only offers a couple other apps (not chrome) and the stupid ms store to search.
methinks ms is being devious here

My problem is that when I go to Set your default programs, Chrome isn't in the list. When I go into Chrome Settings and set Chrome as the default browser I just get sent to the Settings window where Chrome isn't offered as an option. How do I get Chrome to show up as a browser option? It works fine when I just open it normally.

Reaction score
Hi All

I have a very similar issue except its with Firefox, (chrome is ok). Looking through this thread i thought ok go in and look at default programs in the win7 style control panel. Except when i click on the last screen
control panel\all control panel items\default programs\ i now click "set your default programs" and it opens the window 10 style screen not the win7 list.
Tried on a working machine that shows all browsers ok and it goes into the win7 list as shown in provious posts.
Any ideas of the way forward to getting a fix ?

Ask a Question