Casting to a miracast and chromecast

Reaction score
i have a chromecast dongle and it works with the chromebooks. then i got a miracast by mistake and it would not work on the chromebooks nor would it work on my windows 7 machine. then the windows people said i needed windows 8.1 or newer, i now have windows 10 and i still can't get it to go. any ideas. i see both dongles in my wifi tab but i do not get my laptop to show on the tv's. kind of stumped on this one. so do i need to find some type of driver for them or is windows suppose to have the drivers in it already? thanks

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Which Miracast device did you go for? Was it the "Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter"?

If so, this page should have all the information you need to get going:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb...i-setup-my-microsoft-wireless-display-adapter

I have this dongle and just press Windows Key + K to select "project" from my PC to the dongle.

If it's another type of dongle you got, let me know and I'll see what we can do to help (but try projecting using the method above first and see if that works).

Reaction score
i have no idea i got it from ebay last fall. the add said it would work but then i found out it would not. it is not a matter of life and death but as long as i have it and windows 10 i wanted to give it one more try. and when it failed i figured i might ask here to see if anyone has ideas. i will got to that link and see if it help me and let you know. went to the link and mine is not the same. plus i did the key + k ans it came up and said it will not suport miracast. so that is now real confusing as the miracast says windows 8.1 and i thought windows 10 had that drivier in it from the talk months ago with other windows 10 users. i have windows 7 at that time and they all told me to get windows 10 to use the miracast dongle.
so now if this dongle is just landfill anyone happen to know if the chromecast will work in windows 10? if not i can save it for future chrome books if i get one but the miracast seems to not be compatible with anything so i have no idea how they sell that junk even in america form miracast distributors.

thanks

Last edited:
Reaction score
anyone happen to know if the chromecast will work in windows 10?
thanks
I've been using a Chromecast dongle for a couple of years with Windows 10, but it only works for me with the Chrome browser. Chrome has a Chromecast icon at the right edge of the menu bar that allows you to cast the web page to Chromecast. I've never been able to cast outside of the Chrome browser.

Reaction score
i use the chrome browser so i will go and find the app for it. and i believe the miracast dongle is just not going to work so it may be headed to the landfill soon. i will have to just get the google dongle and use them. so i went to google and i can't get the chromecast app for windows 10 even using the chrome browser. i only use the chrome browser so i have my chromebook apps ready but the chromecast app will not go into the windows laptop. so how did you get it? i did see some other apps that may work but because you said the google app in chrome i did not load them up.

thanks

Last edited:
Reaction score
the chromecast app will not go into the windows laptop. so how did you get it? i did see some other apps that may work but because you said the google app in chrome i did not load them up.

thanks
Oh, I've had it so long that I too had to re-research how it's done!
First, try installing the Google Cast extension in you Chrome browser: click the 3 dots in the upper right corner of the browser, > More tools... > Extensions. If you see Google Cast listed, try to install it. But... I didn't see it listed - don't know why, but I did find a direct link to where you should be able to get it:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/google-cast/boadgeojelhgndaghljhdicfkmllpafd?hl

If you get it installed, you should see the new casting icon next to those 3 little dots at the top of the browser.

To give credit, it found this information here:
https://www.wikihow.com/Cast-from-a-Chrome-Browser

Reaction score
ok i found it thanks so much for the help. now can anyone help me with the miracast dongle? i have one of those also and when i turn it on it says windows 8.1 but shouldn't it also work in windows 10? if so how can i do that. when i had win 7 it could not be done. so now i have win 10 and when i go to that window in the lower right and i click it i see the connect button but when i click that button it says miracast is not supported. i ran the program suggested earlier in this thread and it seems i have all updated drivers. thanks

Reaction score
This may be a stretch, but is your Windows 10 computer running on an AMD processor? A friend of mine has an HP laptop with an AMD processor and she can't get Miracast to work either. It turns out that some AMD processors don't support Miracast even though Windows 10 does! Evidently, Miracast shouldn't be an issue for Intel processors.

Reaction score
no i have intell here is a screen shot.
upload_2018-5-11_17-44-47.png

Reaction score
i even went to settings and did a search. my pc see the dongle but will not connect. so what else is there? thanks

Reaction score
ok did more research and it looks like my laptop doesn't have the hardware in it to cast to the miracast. i did find the chromecast in the chrome browser. so that is good to go and it works. so now i have to get another chromecast for the livingroom tv. my laptop see the dongle and the tv actually but will not cast to it. thanks for the help on this.

Ask a Question