Ccleaner - remove windows.old

Reaction score
Today, I installed Win 10 TP over my Win 8.1.1 Pro.

After installation, I opened my Ccleaner and proceeded to remove Windows.old in order to regain the disk space.
It is real simple to do with Ccleaner
Open Ccleaner > make sure it is on Windows tab at the top left > scroll down to Advanced > check "Old Windows installation" > click Analyze > when that is done, click Run cleaner.

ccleaner - windows.old.jpg

before, after ccleaner.jpg

Reaction score
Right click > delete did not work.
1.Took forever, and I do mean forever, and
2.never knew if it was still running or not.
3. it kept asking for admin rights even I was on admin account.

I supposed that is why we have Windows' own native Disk Clean to remove "previous Windows installation(s)" option.
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2527-windows-old-folder-delete-windows-8-a.html

I prefer Ccleaner because it takes a grand total of 3 clicks and I have the peace of mind visually knowing it is running.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Odd. You are, I seem to recall, logged on with a live account (?). I have read of this problem even back in the Windows 7 days, but have not experienced it myself, no idea why.

By the way. I am a keen user of CCleaner, but, there were dire warnings from the pundits regarding its corruption of files on Windows X.. I finally took the plunge, and used it to its full extent (Not the regcleaner - I have no use for that). I have since used it three times, with no apparent problems. Hurrah.

Ask a Question