SOLVED Ccleaner

Reaction score
I find it rather annoying that the last two updates of Ccleaner came with baggage. That is, Avast AV that self installs. How could Pirform allow a download redirect to Cnet to deliver their product. I have turned off check for updates automatically. Cnet are well known for their unsolicited download baggage. Maybe it's because Avast is now the parent company?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Checking the box to keep Avast from installing is no more irritating than keeping Chrome from installing.

CCleaner-Avast.png

I just downloaded the new version of CCleaner from Piriform and installed without Avast installing.

Reaction score
Undoubtedly, they get some kind of financial benefit, if you click that little square. But this is getting to be a common feature in many install/downloads, today. It is becoming an unconscious habit of mind to read everything top to bottom before I start clicking
P.S. Thanks for the unintended heads up, Cliff. I see I am still on 5.37

Reaction score
The box has a tick it automatically, they should stop doing that as it can cause a major crash if people install another AV app with one already installed!. (Windows Defender is an exception!). :mad:

Reaction score
I find it rather annoying that the last two updates of Ccleaner came with baggage. That is, Avast AV that self installs. How could Pirform allow a download redirect to Cnet to deliver their product. I have turned off check for updates automatically. Cnet are well known for their unsolicited download baggage. Maybe it's because Avast is now the parent company?
Which company is Avast the parent of, Piriform or CNET? Somehow I missed the news of that change.

I had used the portable CCleaner 2 weeks ago on a client's computer and he had watched, found yesterday he had downloaded CCleaner and installed it himself. I learned that as I was doing the free Win10 Assistive Technology Upgrade and saw Avast! installed but thought nothing unusual of it until reading this thread. For that I am grateful, may be having another visit with the client.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It looks like they've removed the "clean" build version from their download page too:

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds

Until recently, there was an installer without adware.

Although I'm not keen on installers being bundled, I would be reasonably happy if it was entirely obvious that additional software was being installed and it wasn't done by default (i.e. a separate stage in the installation process, making it clear that it's an option, but not done by default). As things stand, a lot of people will be oblivious to this being bundled, as they'll just be on autopilot.

Reaction score
If you open ccleaner and it informs you that an update is available if you click on install, the download site has always been Download.com (cnet) it automatically downloads and installs Avast. Windows Defender and Malware bytes turned OFF. I had to uninstall Avast and that's not a simple (bugger) click to uninstall. I did some research last night and found this direct download link to Piriform that they supplied when they got hacked some months back. I just updated ccleaner to ver. 5.38. No problem with unwanted download (criminal) bloat or redirect.

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/standard

Bif

Reaction score
I run mine off of a USB stick, it's an older version although it offers the same bells and whistles as the recent build (but without all the hubbub) I refuse to update it for the aforementioned reasons.

Reaction score
My update click takes me to Piriform?
If you open ccleaner and it informs you that an update is available if you click on install, the download site has always been Download.com (cnet) /QUOTE]

Not mine. We are talking about the "free" edition?
All normal, with the option, as mentioned, to turn off Avast download

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    147.2 KB · Views: 547
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    63.4 KB · Views: 552
Reaction score
OK there are many ways to download the software. If I open ccleaner, click on check for updates bottom right it takes me to the home page and informs me that I'm running the current version. That is, 5.38.6357 (64-bit) should I click on the install option, free version my browser opens and gives me a somewhat strern, if not scary warning. Am I paranoid
affraid.gif
please advise LOL

I'm running Firefox with uBlock add blocker.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    54.4 KB · Views: 557
Reaction score
Crikey pal, I think you've ben hijacked - that's a redirection. But maybe someone with a similar experience can pop in here??

Reaction score
I'm running Firefox with uBlock add blocker.
I've got the same installed. I've tried following your steps and I am not getting the same results. I've seen uBlock Origin block pages before but it's not doing it for CCleaner.

You said you clicked on the install option for the free version but yet that is not an option on the current page for me. For me it is an upgrade option from the free version to a paid version. In order to get to the free version I must navigate to the CCleaner page away from the current page.

CCleaner-Update.png

Reaction score
I cant do it now, but I think, if I remember, you scroll down to the bottom of Cliff's page and say No thanks. You are hen taken to the optional versions, including the free edition.

Reaction score
I cant do it now, but I think, if I remember, you scroll down to the bottom of Cliff's page and say No thanks. You are hen taken to the optional versions, including the free edition.

davehc, I just noticed there are two different pages.
  1. clicking "no thanks" takes you to page 1. Clicking download of the free version redirects me to "http://filehippo.com/download_ccleaner"
  2. clicking the CCleaner link in the Download list at the bottom brings up page 2. Clicking download of the free version is a direct download link "http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/standard"
I've always navigated to the download link myself. I don't trust redirects hardly at all no matter where they take me. With that said I don't think Filehippo is a bad place to be, but it certainly isn't where Norton was redirected (dw.cbsi.com).

When I try navigating to "dw.cbsi.com" intentionally, I get the same uBock Origin popup as Norton did above.

Reaction score
I wish I could replicate it, but I'm already on the latest. But, I am sure, when you get to the page with the vertical columns, including free, there is a small bar with something like a preference to download from Pirform or FileHippo.
In my opinion, FileHippo is a very reliable site so it is a matter of personal choice

OK Found it

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
This is what I see from both links. There is no list of site links. So there is definitely a difference likely to be regional.

2DL-pages.png

Reaction score
That is really strange. I just typed, exactly, the address you show in your clip. This is what I get. Country specific? why? Browser specific - no - I get the same on three browsers.

Capture.PNG

Ask a Question