SOLVED Change name

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Binkie,

There must be a misunderstanding going on here, as if the ProfileImagePath did not exist, your computer would not allow you to logon in the first place.

Another way to get to the ProfileList key which ought to contain the S-1-5-21 keys you need to check is this:
  • Press you Windows key + R
  • In the run dialog type regedit then click OK
  • When the User Account Control prompts you, click Yes
  • In the left pane of the Registry Editor window double-left-click on Computer
  • Now in the top tool bar click Edit > Find
  • In the Find dialog that pops open, type ProfileList into the Find what field
  • Remove the checks next to Values and Data then click Find Next button
reg.png

This should take you directly to the Registry Key path I mentioned in the Article, that being:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

You will then need to click the > next to ProfileList in the left pane to expand it so you can see the sub-keys which will include the sub-keys starting with S-1-5-21

Reaction score
OK now I have a big problem. I found the ProfileList, changed the name Debbie to Ronald, rebooted. Now it keeps telling me it can't sign me in, to sign out and sign back in I keep getting the same message, so I dismissed it and lost everything. Whole new screen came on. Its like staring all over again..

I went back into ProfileList and it says user/Temp

I have attached a image for you to see..

If I change this back to Debbie, will it go back to the way it was or is this it..

Ron..
ProfileList.png

Regedit32

Reaction score
That will occur, if you only change the name in that one key and do not make the other changes I mentioned in the article. Windows here has created a Temporary profile to allow you to log on, and if you dismissed the initial notification you probably saw an alert via the Action (Notification) Center in your System Tray [ bottom right corner of taskbar ] which would have mentioned any changes you make here are lost when you sign out.

I could not clearly see beneath that context menu that popped up in your image, but I am guessing the S-1-5-21 key immeditately beneath the one you have open showing me the ImageProfilePath: C:\Users\Temp probably is an identical key name, with the exception it's name ends with the extension .bak

Can you confirm for me if that is the case or not?

If you left-click on that key to view its ImageProfilePath I imagine it says C:\Users\Debbie or your original username. Can you confirm that too please.

You have not lost any important data yet. Windows just does not know how to find it, hence the Temporary account its offering you.

Reaction score
OK under the bak, it shows my name in the imageprofile

I attached a shot of it..bak file.gif

Regedit32

Reaction score
OK that is great. I'm assuming the profile you set up was to logon as the name in that image.

I'm also assuming you at the moment can only sign-in to that Temporary account.

So assuming this is the case:
  • Sign-in
  • Now in your search box type command
  • In the search results - right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator
  • When the User Account Control appears click Yes
  • In the Administrator: Command Prompt console type the following:
Code:
net user Administrator /active:yes

Press Enter key

Sample of what the above will look like - Make sure it is the Administrator: Command Prompt!

netuser.png

Assuming you get same result
: Close
the Administrator: Command Prompt

• Now left-click on Start then left-click the Account icon and select Sign out
sign-out.png

• This will take you to the lock screen.
  • Click / Tap the lock screen to get to the logon screen
  • Select the Administrator account you just made active
As you did not set a password for this built-in Administrator account, it ought to automatically sign-in for you. If not, you may need to click Sign-in button. Note: You may also need to wait for 1 - 2 minutes while Windows does its Hi greeting thing to set up the account. Eventually though you will end up at a Desktop for the built-in Administrator.​

• When you get to the built-in Administrator's Desktop press your Windows key + R
  • In the run dialog type regedit and click OK
  • At the User Account Control prompting click Yes
  • Now in the Registry Editor window in the left pane - double-left-click on Computer
  • Now in the top toolbar click on Edit > Find then in the Find dialog type ProfileList into the Find what field.
  • Remove the checks next to Values and Data then click the Find Next button
reg.png

• As before, this will expand the keys in the left pane to the location of the ProfileList key, which is located at: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
  • Click the > next to ProfileList to expand it so you can see those sub-keys again.
  • Now find those two S-1-5-21 keys that are named identically, with the exception one of them has the .bak extension after the name.
    • Left-click on the key that does not have the .bak extension.
    • In the right pane check the ProfileImagePath and make sure it is pointing to C:\Users\Temp
    • If it is pointing to the Temp user profile, then in the left pane, right-click on this key and select Delete
    • Now left-click on the other key that has the .bak extension.
    • Again, in the right pane confirm the ProfileImagePath is pointing to C:\Users\Ronald
    • If it is pointing to the Ronald user profile, then in the left pane, right-click on the key and select Rename
    • Left-click on the highlighted name so the flashing cursor appears to right of name then backspace to remove the .bak and then click away from the key to remove focus.
You should be left with the keys full name but with the extension .bak no longer there.

If that is the case, you can now close the Registry Editor

Now all you need to do is sign-out or Restart your computer.

When you get back to the logon screen, select you normal account and sign-in.​

Reaction score
I followed up to 'Sign out' lost it all again. Signed back in as a Temp. once more. Have to start over..

I notice what you are displaying like the Admin account and the Temp account they don't show for me..

Regedit32

Reaction score
OK, if you are having trouble with activating the built-in Administrator account, and as a result you are in the situation that when you attempt to sign-in to your normal account you see the following as you sign-in:
  1. As soon as you enter your password and click to sign-in you see the message below the password field:

"Welcome" then you'll see Preparing Windows

2. Then when it gets to desktop you are greeted by a blue message box, and you choose to click Dismiss
  3. Then you see an alert pop up from the System Tray's Action Center

• This means you are signed-in to a Temporary User account.
  • You can right-click on Start and select Run
  • In the run dialog type regedit then click OK
  • The UAC will prompt you. Click yes
  • Now you'll see the Registry Editor and in the left pane you will see Computer and five KHEYS below it
  • Double-left-click on Computer in that left pane
  • Now in the top toolbar click on Edit > Find
  • That will open the Find dialog. In the window type ProfileList in the Find what field
  • Remove the checks next to Values and Data then click the Find Next button
  • Now in the left pane click the > next to ProfileList to expand it so you can see the sub-keys
  • One of those keys will have .bak at the end of its name. Left-click this key then in the right pane locate and double-left-click on ProfileImagePath and change the Value data back to C:\Users\Ronald or if it was originally C:\Users\Debbie then change it to that.
  • Now in the left pane the key just above the one with the .bak extension ought to be the Temporary Profile you are signed into at the moment. Left-click on it, and check the ProfileImagePath in the right pane to confirm that it is pointing to C:\Users\TEMP.Ronald.001 or something to that effect meaning it's the temporary profile you are currently logged into. If it is, then back in the left pane, right-click on this key and select Delete
  • Now in the left pane, right-click on the other key with the .bak extension and select Rename
  • You will see its name highlighted in blue. Left-click on this once, so the cursor appears flashing to the right side of the .bak then backspace to remove the .bak extension [ including removing that dot ], then click away from the key to take the focus away.
  • Now close the Registry Editor
  • Left-click on Start then left-click on the Account icon and select Sign out
  • Now back on the lock screen. Click or Tap to get to the logon screen.
  • Now you should be able to Sign-in to your account with no problems.

Reaction score
Redone this again. But have not signed out, as yet..

I did this before and once again had to start over..

I changed the name in the s-1-5-21 1001 to Ronald
I changed the name in the s-1-5-21 bak to Ronald

Is this correct, or am I doing this wrong..

Because I'm afraid when I sign out and sign back in I'll have to start over again..

I have attached two images for you to look at...Let me know if I am to do something different..

By the way do you do any remote, maybe I could get you to do this for me by remote..

1001.png .bak.png

Regedit32

Reaction score
OK the S-1-5-21 key ending with -1001.bak from your image now has the ProfileImagePath pointing to C:\Users\Ronald

Assuming that is the original path that was there before all this Temporary account issue began, then yes that is correct.

So what you need to do now, is right-click the key above it that starts S-1-5-21 and ends -1001 and select Delete

Then
the key that starts S-1-5-21 and currently ends -1001.bak -- this key you need to right-click and select rename then left-click the highlighted name so the cursor is flashing to the right side. Press backspace to delete the .bak so that the only thing you see is the name S-1-5-21-1246353372-4211692237-1939720088-1001 and when that is what you see then click away from the key so your change of name takes hold.

Now close the Registry editor and sign-out.

Note: I was under the impression when you first started with the Article and modified this key, the ProfileImagePath was pointing to C:\Users\Debbie rather than C:\Users\Ronald --- if that is correct then that key ending with 1001.bak ought to be pointing to C:\Users\Debbie before you rename it. If it was originally C:\Users\Ronald, then what you have at the moment is fine.

Regedit32

Reaction score
By the way, if you did follow my article, then you presumably renamed the User folder before editing the Registry.

That needs to be renamed back to its original name also, so you can finally sign-in as usual and start the whole process over again.

Regedit32

Reaction score
I have not remoted into someone's pc for years now, but if push comes to shove and you think that would help, I'll be happy to give it a go. I will need to brush up on the how to do that first though.

Reaction score
No I did change Debbie to Ronald.. I am having more problems doing this than you can shake a stick at..

The more I do the more confused I get..

I did sign out of Ronald and signed in as Administrator, and got all the messages you had posted from before..

So I'll go change my name back to Debbie. If I can follow your post from above, I am to delete .bak

Reaction score
I have not remoted into someone's pc for years now, but if push comes to shove and you think that would help, I'll be happy to give it a go. I will need to brush up on the how to do that first though.

I won't mind this. I have done it a few times using Teamviewer.

Which way would you prefer to try.

Ron..

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hold on a second.

It is good you are in the Administrator account!

Before changing the Registry can you open the File Explorer and navigate to C:\Users and confirm the name of the Users folder there. Did you change that to Ronald? If you did you need to right-click and select rename and rename it to Debbie then close File Explorer.

Then yes with the key ending 1001.bak change the path to C:\Users\Debbie

Then delete the other key above it

Then right-click the key ending 1001.bak and select rename and remove the .bak from the name

Then close the registry editor and sign out

Reaction score
To be sure first before I do anything. See the image of Local C userslocal disk users.png

Let me know where to go from here.

Regedit32

Reaction score
I think I see why this whole issue began now.

Can you open the folder named Debbie and then take a look at Documents or Pictures folder inside it to confirm these are the files you normally can access.

Let me know

Regedit32

Reaction score
Yes / No? Are the files inside the folder named Debbie your files that you would normally be able to access?

Reaction score
OK Debbie has access to all.

Administrator has access to all

There are 3 Temp Ronald, 000, 001,002 have no access to anything..

See attachments

Debbie.png Admin..png

Regedit32

Reaction score
OK good.

Close the File Explorer

Now go to the ProfileList in the Registry editor

The key that ends with 1001.bak --- change its ProfileImagePath to point to C:\Users\Debbie

Let me know when you have done this

Reaction score
Yes / No? Are the files inside the folder named Debbie your files that you would normally be able to access?

Debbie has all the rights to all files..

Admin. doesn't have access to them, they come out blank.

Ask a Question