Changed HD prior to installing Win10

Reaction score
Hi All,
I reserved Win10 then upgraded to an SSD drive. Went to do the Win10 upgrade last night and it won't install. Tried calling MS - over a 1 hour wait. What's the fix to this? I'm guessing it's tied to the original HD.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
N

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello Nancy and welcome to the forum.
Not sure how you went about moving over to the SSD ( image or clone using third party software or complete new install)
Many people are experiencing the same delay in upgrading and Microsoft still insists that "it's coming"
I guess you can continue to wait or you can go here
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
AND perform the upgrade using that tool or download the ISO (create media) and upgrade at your convenience

Reaction score
Hi Noob,
I used the cloning tool that came with the Samsung EVO SSD. The cloning tool worked great but when I went to do the upgrade, the install said Waiting......with the spinning circle. I'll look at your suggestions first and then maybe wait a few more days and see if I'm still having issues. Thanks for your reply.

Reaction score
I have the old HD I took out of my laptop last night. If all fails, I can put it back in and reimage my SSD. So as far as you know, the upgrade is not tied to the old HD?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I wouldn't think so. if you cloned it, it should be there in the Root of C;\ (hidden file, starts with a $ sign as I remember somewhere around 3 gigs in size).
If you look at Windows Updates and the link to Update History and you see one or more referencing failed and Windows 10 Update
You might be experiencing a 80240020 error
There is a fix that some people have report, has worked for them while others have said that it didn't
This error means the download is corrupted in some way.
1. Go into "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" and delete everything in that folder.
2. Now, run the command prompt as an administrator. Type in "wuauclt.exe /updatenow".
3. Go to your Control Panel > Windows Update and your Windows 10 will start downloading again..

Ask a Question