Clean install win 10 on new HD

Reaction score
Sorry if this issue as been covered I have a Toshiba laptop which I only use for a few programs but for a long time since I did a clean install of win 10 it's takes a very long time to load when I say long time to load windows opens and goes to desktop fairly reasonably but then it takes quite a while before you can do anything ! So if there is no quick fixes what I would like to do format the HD then clean install win 10 what's the best way to go about this ?
Thanks in advances
H

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The first thing you're going to need is current installation media.
Use the tool here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
To create what you need to move forward.

Without any information as to the specs or age of the laptop, you may want to consider a couple things.
Likely the original hard drive (if still present) was less than optimal to begin with. Most are 5400 rpm spinners.
I found that one of the best ways available (if it's an option) is to upgrade the older mechanical hard drive with a new SSD
AND
Again if it's an available option, add additional RAM.

Many older Windows 10 laptops were a bit borderline on specs to begin with and over the ensuing years have only became less than optimal. It's probably never going to be a rocketship, but...\
Spending a few bucks to enhance it just a bit may give you a couple more years of satisfactory use.

Reaction score
What I have done with my old laptops as they were getting slower and slower over time, I did a clean install on it but I have replaced the HDD with a SSD and also maxed out my RAM memory. Both steps brought an enormous speed boost. The loading times have drastically increased from about 4-5 minutes with a HDD to about 1 minute with a SSD. I can highly recommend to change to a SSD (it almost does not matter which brand you prefer, I have used so far :
Western Digital blue
Sandisk SSD plus and SanDisk Ultra 3D SSD
PNY
Samsung EVO 750 and 850

I also have used OWC which usually makes SSD's for Mac's but I don't have a good experience with those as they fail frequently.

Ask a Question