Computer Freezes On Boot

Reaction score
So, this morning when I was trying to boot up my 3 month old gaming pc, everything seemed normal, until I got to the windows boot screen. Upon reaching that, the dots completely froze. I tried hard resetting until I got to auto-repair, but that froze too. I also had a Windows 10 recovery usb, but my pc also froze on that as well. I tried taking everything extra out of my pc including the sdd, the hdd, the gpu, the network card, and then testing to see if my ram was bad. All of them work, but the pc cannot boot to anything. I can access bios and i did reset the cmos, but nothing works.

Specs:

• Ryzen 3 3200g with Radeon Vega 8 Graphics
  • 16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM DDR4
  • MSI Geforce GTX 1650
  • TP Link Network Card
  • 1TB SSD
  • 1TB HDD
  • ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming

Reaction score
Hi CD,

have you done a BIOS update?:

https://www.asus.com/de/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-B450-F-GAMING/HelpDesk_BIOS/ :)

With the newer Rzyen APU's, you may well have an older board which needs it!. :)

Also, did you install the AMD chipset package?:

https://www.amd.com/en/support ;)

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
Reaction score
no, but that shouldn't prevent me from running the windows installation usb, because I cannot boot that either.

Reaction score
Have you done any overclocking in BIOS, with regards to the RAM or CPU speed?. Have you tried resetting BIOS again?. ;)

Reaction score
Okay, I assume you have two sticks of RAM?, shut down your PC and remove one stick and see how your PC acts, play around with the computer to see if it remains stable, once done, shut down the PC and take out the remaining stick and put the one you took out back in, see if that works!. It might be a RAM stick that is faulty or not sitting correctly?.

You have 4 RAM slots, are the sticks in the correct bays, normally A2 & B4 (with a two stick configuration), check the manual:

Is your graphics card in the correct PCIE slot ?. :)

Reaction score
In A2 & B4????.

Also, if you did install graphics card drivers for the APU, you shouldn't have both, I forgot you have an Nvidia GPU and you shouldn't have the Radeon drivers installed if you are using an Nvidia GPU!.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Do you have any thermal paste?, if you do, check the CPU/APU and that none of the pins are bent or missing. Also, what CPU cooler are you using, the one that came with the Ryzen APU?.

If you remove the CPU, make sure you replenish the thermal paste once you have checked the pins!. :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I do have thermal paste, none of the pins should be bent, as i have not removed it since i installed, and it has worked before, my cooler is the Corsair H100i Platinum Liquid Cooler.

Reaction score
I am almost out of ideas!, it might be that the mobo BIOS update screwed up the system?, when did the problem start, after a BIOS update or before?.

Do you have another mobo you can try out?. Do you have a BIOS rollback option and do you have another CPU/APU you can try?. :)

Reaction score
Was the bios update necessary to be compatible with the CPU? If not, maybe try to download and flash the original bios.

Reaction score
Was the bios update necessary to be compatible with the CPU?
Hi BigFeet,

yes it was as the newer Ryzen APU's are the 3000 series. It would be interesting to know if the mobo has a rollback feature but it may break the system even more?????. :(

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it supported 3rd gen Ryzen out of the box (not sure about APU's). If it doesn't have a rollback feature, their website should have the older bios for download. But I wouldn't want to recommend it without him researching it first.

Reaction score
my motherboard supports 3rd gen ryzen out of box, but oddly enough, my pc can boot bootloaders, such as grub, but nothing more. So I don't know if it is the bios or not

Reaction score
Hi CD,

do you have a Linux version installed too?, you mentioned GRUB and I have had a problem with dual booting Linux and Windows lately on an old HDD, Linux will boot but Windows won't.

Re the BIOS, the BIOS update was for adding more support to the 3000 series Ryzen CPU/APU, try a rollback if you can!. :)

Also, is your SSD an M.2 type or a normal SSD?. :)

Another suggestion is to take out the Nvidia GPU and connect your monitor to the Ryzen APU and go into BIOS/UEFI and make sure that the APU is set correctly, boot your PC and see if it runs with just the onboard graphics!. If it works okay, it might well be a faulty GPU?.

Do you definitely have BIOS version 3003?. :)

Boot into UEFI/BIOS and take a look, or if you can open System Info > System Summary and take a look please just to be sure!. ;)

1584523848039.png

Last edited:

Ask a Question