Computer Keeps Restarting

Reaction score
Due to having little storage I decided to reset my windows 10 laptop. As it was reseting, halfway through it said it ran into a error and needed to try again. I clicked on Return to Windows 10 and then my computer restarted. Then it kept restarting and continues to do so. I don't know how to stop it. I need help fixing it.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You're going to need alternative boot media.
I assume since you were in the process of doing a reset that there is no critical data at risk that you haven't backed up.

You'll need to boot from the installation media. If you do not have the installation media on hand you can download the ISO from here
Once you have the ISO, you can use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD, http://imgburn.com/ (need a dual layer disk and burner)
or Rufus to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive, http://rufus.akeo.ie/ (need a thumb drive of 8 gigs or greater)
either of which you can use to boot your computer.

You should be able to perform a clean custom install once you've boot from the alternate media.

Reaction score
Due to having little storage I decided to reset my windows 10 laptop. As it was reseting, halfway through it said it ran into a error and needed to try again. I clicked on Return to Windows 10 and then my computer restarted. Then it kept restarting and continues to do so. I don't know how to stop it. I need help fixing it.
This sound like you have interrupted the reset process or the comp encountered an error through that rest process. I would 'shut down' the comp then reboot it, if it boots into windows then try 'reset' again and let it go through its processes (it can take a long time) if the comp 'keeps restarting' then I would take the reinstall steps that 'Trouble' above suggests.

Reaction score
Try to reboot and move to safe mode or last known good configuration and you should be good go

Reaction score
My copy of Windows 10 came to me with my new computer. Therefore, if I needed to do a clean install...I would likely not have a license (Windows 10). How mighht I get an ISO copy to boot from?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
How mighht I get an ISO copy to boot from?
I provided a link above direct to Microsoft's media creation tool, which you can use to obtain the ISO and even create bootable media.
I prefer Rufus but it's worth a try.
if I needed to do a clean install...I would likely not have a license
Windows 10 is a perpetual license. Once it has been installed on a set of hardware you should be able to clean install on that machine without a license issue. Even in the case of replacing an existing hard drive.

Reaction score
I provided a link above direct to Microsoft's media creation tool, which you can use to obtain the ISO and even create bootable media.
I prefer Rufus but it's worth a try.

Windows 10 is a perpetual license. Once it has been installed on a set of hardware you should be able to clean install on that machine without a license issue. Even in the case of replacing an existing hard drive.

It was that link that initiated my question. When I attempted to down load the ISO, I was requested to provide my license thus my question.

Because of the way I acquired W10, I don't have a license to reference.

Reaction score
Well shut my mouth. I just retried clicking on the link you provided and it worked without hesitation. I unquestionably did something wrong before.

Reaction score
Beingdinu

This was NOT my thread so the question is probably NOT directed at me. I apologize for the hijack but the answer is NO. I am still not certain that I can image and backup my secondary harddrive.

Ask a Question