Computer wont boot up after BSOD

Reaction score
I am using Dell inspiron laptop (pretty old one) which started acting weirdly. Upon examining, there was a problem with HDD so I had it changed.

As soon as I got new HDD installed and installed Windows 10 on it, computer started acting weird again - slow startups, random freeze etc.- but it was running ok and I was fine with it. But earlier today, it suddenly displayed BSOD and crashed when it was idle. Now to the main and the funny part, it does not boot anymore. To elaborate, blank screen appears after BIOS screen (right when the logo of windows should be displayed) and it remains blank for several more minutes before the logo and spinning dots magically appear, it doesnt disappear thereafter.

I figured, I could run startup repair or some other tool to solve the problem by booting from the DVD of windows 10. Now for this one, the logo appears with the spinning dots which disappears after a while like it should. And after it disappears, blank screen persists thereafter. Dumbfounded, I tried booting from a USB stick of Windows 8 I had which gave the same problem.

I dont know how to fix this problem cause I have never seen anything like it. I have already tried altering most of the options in BIOS and the diagnostic tool gives and all-ok for all the installed hardware. If somebody would help me circumvent this problem, I would really appreciate it.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
IDK... it sounds like a hardware issue and basically it started with the new hard drive although you say you had, had problems with the previous hard drive,
AND
Although "acting weirdly" is very useful, it sounds to me like both the old and the new hard drives are and were "acting weirdly".

Do you still have the old hard drive? Can you put it back in? Will that boot the computer?
Can you remove the new hard drive and attach it to a working Windows computer (USB to SATA caddy or cables designed for just such purposes) and run Check Disk against it to test it for problems?

Download MemTest86+ and burn the ISO to a CD using ImgBurn and boot from that and run 6 passes to test your installed memory modules.
http://memtest86.com/download.htm

Reaction score
One of the most amusing thing happened this morning. When I pressed power button of my computer this morning, it booted up to desktop like nothing had happened. weird, I know.

I want to find out what happened with my computer last night but there is no minidump file. any ideas about what might have happened?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
any ideas about what might have happened
Nope.
Maybe it was one of those "you had to be there" things to really appreciate how amusing it was.

I don't think I could even begin to explain a tiny fraction of some of the stuff we hear about happening to some with Windows 10 here in this forum.

Ask a Question