"Create a Rocovery Drive" critical problem + question

Reaction score
I just bought a laptop and I wanted to create a recovery drive before I downloaded anything/actually started using it.

I started the process and chose the usb that was plugged and it began copying the system and about a quarter way through the laptop shut off and now will not turn on. The power button wont light up or anything.

What happened?
Does it matter that I was doing this with the laptop unplugged (though it had plenty of battery)?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Are you certain its powered off 100%?

The default settings for a clean Windows 10 install, is to turn off display after 10 minutes, and turn off the hard drive after 30 minutes.

Depending on your laptop model / brand, there will be a specific method for waking the System up again.

Regedit32

Reaction score
If it turns out that is what happened, you may need to start over with your Recovery project.

Before, doing that, Click Start | Settings cog | System — then on left pane select Power & Sleep and adjust settings accordingly

Reaction score
Thanks for replying. I am certain it's powered off completely. Before starting the create a recovery I had changed the power settings to make sure it would not doing anything but turn off display after 5 minutes. All sleep/hibernate/shutdown options were disabled. Only options selected were to have display go off after 5 mins plugged in or not plugged in.

I can't get it to power on unfortunately.

Regedit32

Reaction score
In terms of getting your laptop to power on again can you clarify a few things:
  • Have to reconnected the mains power supply to your laptop
  • Have you disconnected the recovery drive from your laptop
  • When attempting to start the laptop, do you hear anything, e.g. sound of fans, bios beeps, hard drive spinning?
  • Likewise, when attempting to start laptop, do you see anything, e.g. does the bios info appear on screen, do any led lights on keyboard light up?

Reaction score
-Yes
-Yes
-Nothing
-Nothing

Edit: also tried different power supply, still nothing

Regedit32

Reaction score
At this point the only thing I can think of doing, would be to completely disconnect all power sources.

i.e. Remove the mains cable, and also remove the battery.

Leave it without power for 30 minutes, then replace the battery, and mains power cable, and try again to start the computer.

If it still does not start, I feel you may have no other option but to contact the place you bought laptop from and arrange a service or replacement — fingers crossed your external recovery drive did not surge and damage hardware components on your laptop.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Oh by the way — can you please provide the specs on your new laptop.

I have not used a laptop in ages, but there are plenty of members in our Forum who use them regularly, and they may want to respond with other thoughts on what you can do.

Reaction score
Thank you for the help. Could the problem be with the USB I used? It's a 64GB SanDisk that I have used only a handful of times in the past and has worked without problem.

It's a Lenovo T440s with
8gb ram
i7-4600u
240gb Kingston SSD

Regedit32

Reaction score
Thanks for the information. There are definitely members here who own Lenovo laptops.

They might well have some more suggestions for you.

While you have it sitting there with no power supply, it'd be a good time to give their support a call though. Might as well make use of the time to get any information at all as to what might be going on!

Regedit32

Reaction score
The reason I'm suggesting contacting their Support, is that I do not want you attempting anything that might void your Warranty, such as opening the laptop up to investigate a loose cable connection or worse case scenario, a burnt board from a power surge.

Reaction score
If you just bought it and have not plugged it in to charge the battery, then I think the battery is empty (you were likely running it on the residual charge that the battery had). The battery will get the full capacity after 3-4 full charges. My suggestion is to keep it off for a few hours but plugged in.
BTW: are you sure its a T440 ?? I cannot find any Laptop with your Specs on the Lenovo Website (maybe I was in the wrong section)

Reaction score
It was not brand new. I purchased used off craigslist. And it's a T440s, you can find same ones with same specs on ebay.

Regedit32

Reaction score
I'm assuming Craigslist is not an authorized retailer of Lenovo computers, meaning perhaps in your case their is no warranty to worry about.

On googling your model it appears heaps of people are experiencing the exact same issue as you have described.

Some of these people have discovered, if they remove both CMOS battery and leave it out for a few minutes, then replace the battery the computer magically regains life and will boot again.

It might be worth a shot — if that actually works, then perhaps buying a new cmos battery would ensure a long term fix to issue.

Also, if you do open the laptop up to gain access to that CMOS battery, you might as well take the time to peek at the cable that connects to the laptops power button, to make sure its not loose — given, if its not connected securely the power button will never turn it on.

Just make certain you don't touch too much - you don't want to introduce a static charge to the laptop!

Ask a Question