Microsoft created problem

Reaction score
when I bought my computer it came with windows 10 home installed. over time, Microsoft kept updating windows. recently I am getting the message ( on the monitor's screen) that windows is not activated and telling me to activate windows by going to settings. after very much clicking on "this" and "that", I find out that windows 10 pro is installed on the computer and that I do not have a license to have it. MICROSOFT DID THIS, I DID NOT. I thought that I could just download windows 10 home but can't do that because I do not know what the original license is. I can not get any help from Microsoft without PAYING AN ABSURD FEE FOR TECHNICAL SERVICE. YOU DID THIS AND I DON'T KNOW HOW TO FIX THE PROBLEM. If you can't let me talk to a real live human, then you need to put all the information I need on this page. When I go to buy my next computer---it will not be a Microsoft windows product. !

Reaction score
when I bought my computer it came with windows 10 home installed. over time, Microsoft kept updating windows. recently I am getting the message ( on the monitor's screen) that windows is not activated and telling me to activate windows by going to settings. after very much clicking on "this" and "that", I find out that windows 10 pro is installed on the computer and that I do not have a license to have it. MICROSOFT DID THIS, I DID NOT. I thought that I could just download windows 10 home but can't do that because I do not know what the original license is. I can not get any help from Microsoft without PAYING AN ABSURD FEE FOR TECHNICAL SERVICE. YOU DID THIS AND I DON'T KNOW HOW TO FIX THE PROBLEM. If you can't let me talk to a real live human, then you need to put all the information I need on this page. When I go to buy my next computer---it will not be a Microsoft windows product. !
If you really feel like you have stated here, I would suggest that you go get that new computer. It will be a lot easier on your nerves.

Reaction score
Right, we are volunteers and not part of Microsoft. It could also be an issue with the OEM/builder of the computer or a shop that worked on it. The usual Product Key on Win8, Win8.1 and Win10 is embedded in the BIOS and read during install followed by the Activation when the install is finished.

Reaction score
Right, we are volunteers and not part of Microsoft. It could also be an issue with the OEM/builder of the computer or a shop that worked on it. The usual Product Key on Win8, Win8.1 and Win10 is embedded in the BIOS and read during install followed by the Activation when the install is finished.
that might be well and good except microsoft is the one that installed windows 10 pro on my computer without activating it and I can't get rid of microsoft 10 pro and go back to the windows 10 home that was installed when I bought the computer. Besides, I have no idea what is OEM/builder or how to find it or how to get the information from BIOS or then what to do with it.

Reaction score
Unless it's the Microsoft Surface tablet which Microsoft is more directly associated with, some OEM [Original Equipment Manufacturer] or System Builder or Custom computer repair shop put the machine together and installed Windows. If it is not a Custom machine there will be a brand name such as Dell, HP Compaq, ASUS, ACER, etc. on the case.

Reaction score
The product key used during setup should be on a sticker somewhere on the computer. The sticker should also confirm that it came with Windows Home.

Ben

Reaction score
I did find a sticker on the computer but now there's another problem. I was mistaken about having windows 10. The sticker says it came with windows 7. microsoft though, did download and install windows 10 home at one time, so I don't have a key for windows 10 home. what should I do?

Reaction score
I did find a sticker on the computer but now there's another problem. I was mistaken about having windows 10. The sticker says it came with windows 7. microsoft though, did download and install windows 10 home at one time, so I don't have a key for windows 10 home. what should I do?

You say that Microsoft did, at one time, install Windows 10. How and why did Microsoft do this?

Have you ever had Windows 10 running on this machine? If you believe that it has, why do you believe so?

Reaction score
You say that Microsoft did, at one time, install Windows 10. How and why did Microsoft do this?

Have you ever had Windows 10 running on this machine? If you believe that it has, why do you believe so?
I don't know why microsoft did what it did, it just did. windows 10 pro is on the machine now. I know because it is plastered all over my computer "windows 10". I know because when trying to activate the currently installed software, I am coming across notices that the software can not be activated because I have a license for windows 10 home but am running windows 10 pro. microsoft, in all of their great glory, has f----- with my computer! ( microsoft at one time, installed windows 10 home then put in windows 10 pro). I did not ask for windows 7 to be upgraded to windows 10---they just did it.

Reaction score
I must refrain from further comment on this subject simply because I am unable to understand how "Microsoft" could have done this. To the best of my knowledge Microsoft does not perform system level upgrades automatically (not from W7 to W10 or any other combination of that sort). The user must initiate that upgrade.

OKAY, correct me if I am wrong. Jump all over my case.

Reaction score
I must refrain from further comment on this subject simply because I am unable to understand how "Microsoft" could have done this. To the best of my knowledge Microsoft does not perform system level upgrades automatically (not from W7 to W10 or any other combination of that sort). The user must initiate that upgrade.

you are wrong, microsoft did exactly as I have said----if not, then did a fake company install windows 10 home then windows 10 pro? you do not need to respond.

Reaction score

I'm not understanding it either although there are scammers out there trying to take advantage of folks hearing Windows Support or Tech Service and associating it with Microsoft, I get 3 or 4 such calls a week trying to get money. I just wish the OP would post some identification of the computer such as Brand, Model Name, Model Number, System information, etc. It's also important to know that Win7 and earlier had the COA/Certification of Authenticity sticker with the Product Key on the case somewhere and Win8 and later started the embedded information in the BIOS. The Win7 Product Key can be used for the install of Win10 when needed.

Regedit32

Reaction score

If as you say Your Windows 7 was upgraded to Window 10 Home edition, then you can simply download and install Windows 10 Home on your computer, and when its finished installing it ought to automatically authenticate you as a Registered owner so long as you sign in using your Microsoft username and password, which will be the username and password you typically sign in with.

I experienced the same issue with Microsoft Windows 10 Home and being constantly required to go into settings and click that Fix link to authenticate myself a year ago. I finally resolved this issue by doing a full clean install of Windows 10 (after backup up personal files and emails).

You could also do this using the manufacturers Recovery Discs or Recovery partition to set your computer back to Factory status (i.e. get Windows 7 back again, then download and install Windows 10, which again will automatically authenticate you, provided you upgrade to Windows 10 Home edition was done during Microsoft's Free upgrade period. If it was not done at this time, you'll need to purchase a license or contact Microsoft directly to negotiate an authentication for free.

Regards,

Regedit32

Ask a Question