SOLVED Delete Account From Mail App?

Reaction score
I didn't like the mail app that much and just installed a version of Office that contained Outlook and am happy to be using it again. Is there a way to delete my account from the mail app or disable it. I have set Outlook as the default mail program and just don't think I need the mail app in the background polling.

Thanks

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Tony,

If I understand your post correctly you were using the Default Mail App that came with Windows 10 and now wish to delete an email account you set up in it.

Assuming this is what you meant then do the following:
  • Open the Mail App
  • With Mail App open take a look at the bottom bar (left hand side)
    • You will see a Cog icon
    • Click this to open Settings
  • Now you ought to see a Settings Window open | click on Manage Accounts
  • Next click on the email account you want to remove
  • Next click on Delete Account
    • Then click on the confirmation window Delete
Note: One small catch here. If this is a Microsoft account and you chose that as your login ID for computer it may not allow you to delete it.

Personally I am not using this particular Mail App, however you can use it to access Outlook email accounts. If that "Note" above is an issue for you, perhaps the better thing to do is simply to add a new account and set up your Outlook email for the new account and simply make this your primary choice.

If you could please confirm whether it is this default Mail App you were talking about in your post that would be appreciated. If it was and you run into that "Note" snag I mentioned above I'd be happy to help you set up an Outlook account inside the Mail App if you need help.

Finally, there is always the option to uninstall that Default App completely from the System. However, before going there lets see how you go with the above steps. I would also need to check uninstalling the App will not cause an issue if the account all ready set up on it falls under that "Note" above. I do not want to risk leading you into a situation where you cannot log onto your Desktop.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Just don't run the program at all. It won't receive emails and you won't be sending them.

Reaction score
I looked at the settings and I do not have an option to delete the account. I suppose this is because it is a Microsoft account & it is used for signing in on the computer. Since this is my home computer I do not mind deleting that logon, but am wondering if that has anything to do with automatically linking me to other Microsoft apps like Skype, One Note, One Drive, Office, etc. Also, I have set Outlook up as the default mail app.

As far as not running it, I don't but it looks like it polls in the background anyway. I know it's not much but just seems a waste of resources when it isn't being used.

Reaction score
OK, I did that and it now says the mail app cannot access mail, so that seems good. Will check later today to insure Outlook still functions and no other programs are affected.

Thanks

Reaction score
Great. If you look in the task manager, you will see it is no longer mentioned

Ask a Question