Deleting Items On Bottom Task Bar Question, Please

Reaction score
Hello,
Thanks for previous help. Great Forum and folks.

a. The bar on the bottom of the screen is called the "Task Bar".
Is this correct ?

b. All, 100 %, of the icons and Folders that show there are actually
Shortcuts.
Is this correct ?

The reason I ask is that I want to Delete many of them that show on
this bottom bar, but want to be sure that I am not inadvertently deleting an
"actual" item or program.

Am I sfe to do so, in all instances ?

Much thanks,
Bob

Reaction score
a. correct (although mine is at the top)
b. also correct but instead of deleting them (is that even possible?) just UNPIN from TASKBAR. the icons will then be removed from the taskbar.

However, a backup is always a good idea, just in case...

Reaction score
And, (maybe you have already discovered it?), if you right click the taskbar, and then select taskbar settings, you will find all the available options there.

Reaction score
This won't work for removing the annoying Microsoft Edge which recently appeared in the Task Bar. None of the Googled suggestions/solutions seem to work. One site says one cannot remove it...

Attachments

• Microsoft Edge in Taskbar.jpg
    Microsoft Edge in Taskbar.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 11
Reaction score
This won't work for removing the annoying Microsoft Edge which recently appeared in the Task Bar. None of the Googled suggestions/solutions seem to work. One site says one cannot remove it...
Just tested it on my Win10 Pro with latest update and Unpin from taskbar worked fine.

Reaction score
Perhaps with Windows 10 Pro of which I do not have...
Thought you had Win10 since this is in a Windows 10 Forum. If it's Pro that is of concern, most things work the same in Home.

I also just tested on my Win11 Pro with latest update and Unpin from taskbar worked the same.

Reaction score
Yes I have Windows 10 but you did not read my comment - I do NOT have Windows 10 Pro...

Attachments

• Windows Version.jpg
    Windows Version.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 10
Reaction score
And like I answered, it doesn't make any difference between Home and Pro in many things.

For an additional test I just fired up an HP Envy 17 with Win10 Home, same thing, can Unpin from taskbar or Pin to taskbar.

Last edited:
Reaction score
As stated before, there is NO unpin option in the Task Bar...

Attachments

• No Unpin.jpg
    No Unpin.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 9
Reaction score
Maybe not IN the Taskbar but how about on the right-click context menu for the icon itself? That's the default place to do deletes of icons/shortcuts.

Reaction score
Microsoft tech chat could NOT help me delete Microsoft Edge - he said that it is there permanently. It came up just a couple weeks ago and there is NO Unpin available and in the icon either. It is a memory hog which slows my computer down to the point of having to reboot every couple days which in itself is a nuisance as I cannot find a way around having to put my password in each time...

Reaction score
I loaded a copy of the home edition to test this.
1. The icon was NOT on the taskbar by default.
2. By right clicking it in the Start menu, I could pin it to the taskbar, and, then UNpin it.
It seems you have something else not consistent on your computer.

I think MS were referring to the Edge program, not the icon.
There is no way that the icon, alone, could slow down your computer. My guess is that in some way, it is running permanently open in the background.

Your comments suggest that a complete reinstall would be a quicker solution for you

Reaction score
Acually a new computer but I do NOT want Microsoft Edge which just showed up a couple weeks or less in the Taskbar. Okay, it is the program running in the background, see insert, and NO way to get rid of it. Microsoft is controlling my computer besides all of the email SPAM I get from them daily...
Click on picture below and look at the bottom for an image of Edge that I now cannot get rid of...

Attachments

• MS Edge in Taskbar.jpg
    MS Edge in Taskbar.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 20
Reaction score
I cant actually see Edge in your taskbar?
But, fwiw:
right click the start menu icon and select "run"
In run, type msconfig and OK
Select the startup tab and also open the task manager.
Find Edge and disable it.
Restart

Reaction score
Please click on the image, then look at the bottom next to "Type here to search" there is an image of a pencil, a book and a cake. That is Microsoft Edge...
Okay on Run. Microsoft Edge shows disabled but I know better as it keeps sucking the memory out of my computer...

Reaction score
Never seen an edge icon like that - selff made?
How have you determined that edge is using memory?

Reaction score
Since the Edge showed up about two or less weeks ago, within a couple days the computer slows way down. At age 81, I now cannot enjoy my computer anymore due to the invasive MS Edge and Microsoft tells me I am stuck with it - like their daily SPAM emails. Sorry about the whining but I am fed up with Microsoft. I have other issues like Insufficient memory (8gig) and that absurd Custom file that I have to continually click All files. My wife wants a new computer but that probably will also have MS Edge and other unwanted stuff...

Reaction score
the icon you refer to as Edge is not on your taskbar, it is in the search box. How it got there, or what it is, I have no idea.
But there are inconsistencies in your comments. I am out of ideas and cannot help you further.
Do not regard your posts as "whining". That is why the forum is here -to help.
Maybe another member can step in with other ideas?
I still maintain a recover or reinstall will solve the problems.

Ask a Question