SOLVED Desktop Icons open in This PC screen.

Reaction score
When opening This PC screen that the icon in Desktop shows in the right hand side, this appears to be the case with all various icons. I am uncertain, if Microsoft introduced this with an update, or that I clicked this mistakenly in Start Settings or indeed experiencing another phantom trick. I would appreciate any comments elating to this.

Reaction score
Hi Rab,

can you post a screenshot please, I am not quite sure what you mean?. :)

Reaction score
Have you treid manuall moving them to where you want them?
But first, make sure you do not have the "autoarrange" switch on.
1597217254916.png

Reaction score
Hi Wolfie,
For some reason, I have no idea as to attach the screen shot properly to this page attach file. *

davehc,
Have checked in View and both Auto arrange icons and Align icons to grid are unticked.

* As an example the Download Software Icon, top right shows [ two people faces and a Yale key ]. Icon was selected from Windows Change icon.

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-08-12 203127.png
    Annotation 2020-08-12 203127.png
    4.2 KB · Views: 128
Reaction score
Hi Rab,

still not quite sure what you mean, are you talking about files on the desktop and do you want to auto arrange them on the left?, if you do, Dave has already said you need to make sure those options are ticked!. Or.... are you talking about the icons in file explorer and if so, what do you want do there?.

Right click the desktop for options. :)

desktop 2.jpg

Reaction score
I actually said he should UNtick and arrange the icons manually - if he means the desktop icons!

Reaction score
The sample that I attached, opens and shown in the top right of its screen. Any Icon as an example clicked the C drive will show a picture of a hard disk relating to it, this applies to any icon having its own symbol. Any software that is clicked will show its own picture symbol, right hand side. What has caused this is my question? if part of Windows 10 can it be removed? Not an issue as computer functions properly.
Annotation 2020-08-12-2093122.png

Reaction score
Gentlemen,
You have solved my problem, this most appreciated, thank you. I am unaware as to what clicked this on, as I have never come across this setting or new anything about it. To night, another upset, as any file required permission before opening it. Possibility that something or someone has taken over computer.

Reaction score
Sorry the final help came so late. Your reference to the "Desktop" sent me in the wrong direction!
Start another thread on the new problem, please. It will bring other help in.

Reaction score
davehc,
You have no need to be sorry as I am delighted this has now been solved. The fact is that most of the desktop icons also showed their icon, that has also been corrected. It is so good now days for people to help me nother when required. Now it appears the £ or $ signs is their criteria, gone are the days of friendship and want to help. Thank you again and Wolfie.

Ask a Question