SOLVED Drive Locked when Trying to boot

Reaction score
I was trying to boot from the Installation Media with the intent to restore using a system image disk. I have mounted the disk previously and determined that it in fact has the image intact. However it is not recognized. So, I tried to install Windows 10 Home with the Installation Media but there is no partition there and the error says "the drive is locked". I am now typing this on the same pc so obviously there is no problem with the drive.

Can you help?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
However it is not recognized
What is not recognized?
When you boot from the installation media and then on the second page you select the repair your pc link and then the Advanced Troubleshooting Image Recovery. Where in the process do you run into the problem or error.

Reaction score
When I select Disk image, It does not recognize the CD. Actually, it says it does not find an image file. I take the CD out put it back, start again, no dice. I made it with a third party utility. I also have one made with the on board utility and it is not recognized either,

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
What third party utility did you use?
Did you create rescue media with the third party utility?
Where is the disk and or system image stored physically. A system image will not fit on a CD.
What format (file extension) is the disk image?

Reaction score
Acronis True Image 2016. 574 MB required on a 4.7 GB disc "Bootable Rescue Media". Also created ISO file but I can not find it. I do not know what the format is.

Actually, I seemed to have misplaced the disc and am now unsure if I used the Acronis disc or not. I am trying again so will get back to you after my attempt. OK I am back. I redid the BRM with Acronis wihch took very little time (does that sound right?) I had the same results when attempting the repair.

The disk image is an ISO file but I do not actually see it. When I try to create another I am told the ISO file already exists.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Boot from the Acronis Rescue Media
Click the BackUp and recovery tab or icon
Browse to the location of your Disk Image, which should have a .tib extension.

Reaction score
I do not see a .tib extension and none of the files on the list are ISO files. I have not inserted the disk yet.

Reaction score
Boot from the Acronis Rescue Media
Click the BackUp and recovery tab or icon
Browse to the location of your Disk Image, which should have a .tib extension.
I booted directly from the Acronis Rescue Media. The text at the top of the screen had several options. I picked " go ahead and boot" on the second attempt which took me to a screen with some options. I picked "Start Windows 10" and Windows 10 booted. There was no "BackUp and recovery tab or icon" and no browsing to the Disk Image required. I think that may because it is the latest 2016 edition.

Do you think that is all that would be required if I had a major failure in the future. It was almost to easy.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
If you are booting from the Rescue Media CD, then your system has to be configured to Boot from your optical drive as the first choice or else you have to use the appropriate Fkey to evoke the Start Up Menu for your particular computer (you may have to hit another key if prompted to boot from CD/DVD), after which the CD should launch and after a bit you should see the Acronis interface from which you can then select Recovery and browse to your image.

Reaction score
If you are booting from the Rescue Media CD, then your system has to be configured to Boot from your optical drive as the first choice or else you have to use the appropriate Fkey to evoke the Start Up Menu for your particular computer (you may have to hit another key if prompted to boot from CD/DVD), after which the CD should launch and after a bit you should see the Acronis interface from which you can then select Recovery and browse to your image.
Yes, I am familiar with that and also to go back to BIOS to reset the drive options to boot from the drive first which eliminates problems if I leave a usb or disk insertewd by accident. Again, there was no need to "select recovery" or to "browse to your image" It is truly a wizard now.

I am marking this one Solved. Thanks a lot.

Last edited:

Ask a Question