E_IO_CANNOT_OPEN - Adobe Digital Editions

Reaction score
I'm trying to install Adobe Digital Editions on my Win10 computer. I get the error message E_IO_CANNOT_OPEN. I learned that this occurs because a certain temp folder in my Win 10 is read only. In fact, when I look, this temp folder isn't there at all. So I create it. Same problem. I look again and it's there but marked read_only. I eliminate the read_only, try again, and the same thing happens including the fact that the file is again marked read only. In case it matters, the temp file in question is in C:/Users/User. How can I stop this? Thanks.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Can I just check that you're using the latest version from the Adobe website, rather than a previously downloaded version? Can you try running the installation app via "run as > admin" please (tutorial here)

It looks like this is a known issue on with ADE and you've already tried the fix (i.e. making the folder writable). This may be a silly question, but did you to to c:\User\user, or did you visit the path with your login username in the location?

It's a little unusual that Adobe are using that path to store temp files, so I would hope they would be able to assist with this issue. It may be a good idea to contact their support team directly and see if they can advise, as it may be something they are familiar with.

Ask a Question