Edge Functionality

Reaction score
Shutting down all of the non essensial services in W10 for maximum gaming potential I noticed EDGE doesn't work, while IE and Firefox do.
Other Internet related core features and applications work fine, so I've clearly shut off a service Edge uses that others don't.
Edge is not prefered, so I'm not interested in getting it working, but what is Edge doing that other browsers don't?
I can of course restore W10 to the default state then switch off each service until I find the answer, but most likely someone else already looked into this and can quickly explain.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Paul,

Welcome to the Forum.

Microsoft Edge, Store app & also Search will not function correctly if you disable the Windows Event Log service.

Sample image

img1.png

Note: You cannot stop this service, but you can disable it. However, the effects of disabling it will not be seen until you restart your computer, as it will continue to Run until you do shut down.

When this Service is disabled, Microsoft Edge will open, but you will eventually see a message along the lines 'Hmmm it looks like we can't reach this page' or something like that.

You'll notice if you've disabled this Service that upon restarting your computer your Network icon in the System Tray disappears. It's actually still running, and browser like Microsoft Internet Explorer 11, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox which are not dependent on the Windows Event Log service will still run fine.

If you did disable the Windows Event Log then:
  • Right-click on Start and select Run
  • In the run dialog type services.msc then click OK
  • In the Services window scroll down and right-click on Windows Event Log & select Properties
  • Now using the drop arrow in the field next to Startup type select Automatic then click Apply
  • Close any open programs, then restart your computer for the Service to Start and allow your Microsoft Edge browser, Store app, and Search to run correctly.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
'Hmmm it looks like we can't reach this page' or something like that.

I disabled Edge, but I've gotten this message only a few times. If I visit another website and then go back to that page,I can access that page.

One would think that with so many people expressing great dislike for Edge that it would make it optional rather than obligatory, With every update, Edge is re-enabled. WHY?

Ask a Question